• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HALF MY DATABASE ERASED!

t0ddie

ok, i have a backup of my database from a few days ago.

i have entered 30 hours worth of data entry into my database since then.

just now, i was making a new sub-category.

i decided to delete it but the page froze.

i clicked on delete and the browser back button a few times while the page did nothing.

THE ENTIRE DATABASE WAS DELETED!

every category!

i just lost 30 hours of work because of an osCommerse glitch.

with my host there is a recycle bin for files lost.

is there a recycle bin in the osCommerse control panel?

please tell me there is.

i dont even know if they were deleted.. but im pretty sure thats what just happened.

everything is gone!

please respond asap! help!

Well, make that all of it.

the backup i had is not working.

i restore the same file i saved from my database before....

and it says restore process complete.

but there is NOTHING... nothing there...

months of HARD work down the drain! because of a BUG....

i cant believe this is happening. SOMEONE please respond!

i need serious help, i can give ftp access its not like it matters everything is ERASED ANYWAYS.

and i go to restore my old database and that did not work. plus.. whatever database that was there that got overwritten is not in my recycle bin.

any chance it was still there is now gone im sure.

is this what happened?

click: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/bugs,3596

Can't reproduce that bug as described so if it an osC bug remains to be seen..

@Todd:

Ask your host if they have a daily backup mechanism. If they are good they will have one and should be able to retrieve your database. Also the question is why your backup doesn't restore. You get some kind of error ? You checked through your phpMyAdmin if your database is there and still good ?

well, it is a bug.

a feature that is faulty is a bug.

the delete feature got flooded, and confused.

if there was a checkbox you had to click to confirm deletion this would have never happened.

about the other backup, i dont know whats wrong.

i get no error. this is the first time ever attempting to restore a database from a backup

on my host i selected backup database before.

then it saved a file to my harddrive (diabloun_p_os1.tar.gz)

now i had done a shitload of work and not saved before that incident... so thats all gone no matter what.

but on my host it says restore database from backup...

i choose the database, and the backup file from my harddrive.

i know its not a blank file its like 136 kb.

i click restore on my host, it uploads the file and says "restore process completed."

but there is STILL nothing there!

maybe i can send someone a copy of the database?

well, it is a bug.

a feature that is faulty is a bug.

the delete feature got flooded, and confused.

if there was a checkbox you had to click to confirm deletion this would have never happened.

about the other backup, i dont know whats wrong.

i get no error. this is the first time ever attempting to restore a database from a backup

on my host i selected backup database before.

then it saved a file to my harddrive (diabloun_p_os1.tar.gz)

now i had done a shitload of work and not saved before that incident... so thats all gone no matter what.

but on my host it says restore database from backup...

i choose the database, and the backup file from my harddrive.

i know its not a blank file its like 136 kb.

i click restore on my host, it uploads the file and says "restore process completed."

but there is STILL nothing there!

maybe i can send someone a copy of the database?

A 136 Kb. file will not contain much so can't be a valid backup file. Always use the osC admin backup facility next to what your host provides. You should ask your host if they have their own backup for the server and can restore your part. That way you will at least be able to go back to the point of your hosts last backup (with some luck that is yesterday).

ITS A BUG

make a checkbox to confirm deletion!

the delete button got flooded. just clicking the button a second time is not reliable!

i would do myself if i knew php

to recreate the bug try inserting a product but click the insert button multiple times.

you will get multiple products. (another bug) the same type of command flooding happened to me with the deletion of my categories. it went from a subcategory, to my entire database.

also must have been lag but my database backup is working. although i have still lost days of work.

not complaining too much about the free software, but im rightfully pissed since i found a bug the hard way and it deleted all my hard work.

please correct this issue.

also if i could have copied a category this would have never happened.

i was in the process of entering about 500 subcategories and i made a typo.

i went to delete the sub-category and thats when i lagged.

now, i lost all that work, PLUS i have to add 500 subcategories EACH to 4 other categories.

thats 2000 more opportunities for another mistake.

where if there was a category COPY freature, instead of hand creating 2000 new sub-categories

i could click my mouse 3 times...

i olmost wonder whether its worth it to just trash my months work and start with other software that can do this.

unless someone can give me a mod that will allow me to copy categories!

the only ones i have seen here will only LINK categories.

ITS A BUG

make a checkbox to confirm deletion!

the delete button got flooded. just clicking the button a second time is not reliable!

i would do myself if i knew php

to recreate the bug try inserting a product but click the insert button multiple times.

you will get multiple products. (another bug) the same type of command flooding happened to me with the deletion of my categories. it went from a subcategory, to my entire database.

also must have been lag but my database backup is working. although i have still lost days of work.

not complaining too much about the free software, but im rightfully pissed since i found a bug the hard way and it deleted all my hard work.

please correct this issue.

also if i could have copied a category this would have never happened.

i was in the process of entering about 500 subcategories and i made a typo.

i went to delete the sub-category and thats when i lagged.

now, i lost all that work, PLUS i have to add 500 subcategories EACH to 4 other categories.

thats 2000 more opportunities for another mistake.

where if there was a category COPY freature, instead of hand creating 2000 new sub-categories

i could click my mouse 3 times...

i olmost wonder whether its worth it to just trash my months work and start with other software that can do this.

unless someone can give me a mod that will allow me to copy categories!

the only ones i have seen here will only LINK categories.

Confirmation is asked before you delete. If you are impatient and start clicking around you can hardly blame the software but only yourself.

Search the contribs, there is also copy category there.

I can understand you are not happy with what happened (neither would I) but don't blame it on others.

i decided to delete it but the page froze.

i clicked on delete and the browser back button a few times while the page did nothing

That's why your site is totalled. Nothing to do with osCommerce.

Follow the earlier suggestion and see if your database still exists (with its content) by accessing it via phpMyAdmin. If it is there (with its content) then try running the 'Repair Tables' command to see if that will get it going.

Vger

Another word to the wise. A backup is useless unless it works. True for your database, true for your PC.

Your backup scheme needs to be tested to make sure your backups will work when you need them. A good way to do this is to create an extra database (if your server allows this) and import the backup into it via phpMyAmin. You can inspect it, make changes, whatever, but you'll know that you have a safe backup. You can also cut over to the spare database by changing your configure.php details if need be.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

the problem is, because i was unsure whether the command processed or not because the browser froze i decided to click the buttons more.

but as i said this would not be a problem EVER if you change the delete button's confirmation to a checkbox INSTEAD of just hitting the delete button a second time. this is not a unique case, and it will happen again.

this has happened to me multiple times on a lesser scale.

just this time it hit me the hardest.

im not blaming anyone for the problem i had...

im letting you know it happened!

do you DISAGREE that this is a needed fix? it wont hurt anything it can only help!

and on another note..

THERE IS NO CATEGORY COPY MOD!!!

sure thats what the mods titles are, but they BOTH only LINK categories, they dont COPY them.

they should really change the mods names to "category link" to avoid confusion.

if you can find or create a category COPY mod then that would be great.

would save me... unfathomable amounts of time.

Problem: All categories and products are deleted after deleting a category or product.

Cause: This problem was found when the browser's BACK button is used to return to the product list after deleting a product or category. After backing up pages, "categories_id" is set to 0 which is the catalog's root location.

Fix: I wrote a simple check to make sure you can never delete the entire catalog in one action. ($categories_id can never equal 0)

OMG THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!

now i kind of DO blame osCommerse...

it WAS a bug and was already posted on..

you didnt update the source with this fix?

if this is supposed to be open source, why when a bug is found is it not squashed?

Can't reproduce that bug as described so if it an osC bug remains to be seen..

i'm willing to give it a run on my test site to see if i can replicate it, but i am not the only one that (the bug i posted) had this happen to them, somebody else confirmed the same thing happened to them and i have seen others months prior (but it didn't click at the time) complain of the same situation

i was having a problem with my test site admin panel (htaccess), so i wasn't able to give it a test... if i can dig through my past posts i'll see if anyone was able to check my config file and confirm it was an htaccess problem

i completely agree with this!!! but i do not blame the software for my site crashing.. when you get something for free, you should expect it to come with flaws :) thus far i'm pretty happy with it and have only run into a few mishaps..

yes i agree.

i do expect flaws, and prior to knowing that it was a DOCUMENTED flaw.. i didnt place blame.. i was just uber pissed.

i was letting everyone know about the bug. i said osCommerse erased my catalog. was i lying? i didnt blame anyone here... but it in fact was the software that was confused. i blamed the software. i knew the risks, and i took them. it still was not me who manually accidentally deleted ANY of my 4 main categories.

i was in a subcategory, of a subcategory, in the first category, and all 4 categories were deleted in one move.

after finding out its been LONG KNOWN its a bug, and seeing as there is always people on these forums you would think they are pretty active. now i kind of want to blame whoever the hell it is in charge of new versions and updates i guess... why hasnt this been added as an update?

i still appreciate the free software, but lets make it better now.

its utterly moronic to leave such an unnacceptable flaw present in the software when you have the fix.

this thing has been ERASING lots of peoples ENTIRE DATABASE! is this not F****** URGENT?

well try this. After this code in admin\categories.php

case 'delete_category_confirm':
	if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['categories_id'])) {
	  $categories_id = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['categories_id']);

add this code.

$check_query = tep_db_query("select categories_id from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$categories_id . "'");
  if( tep_db_num_rows($check_query) != 1 ) break;

$check_array = tep_db_fetch_array($check_query);
  if( !is_array($check_array) || $check_array['categories_id'] != $categories_id ) break;

see if you multi-click the delete button (or back button on the browser) causes the same problem. Of course if you decide to delete a root category sub-categories are also deleted.

Really basic question my admin backup doesn't work it, errors out, I;ve already posted request for help. But, is there a way to ftp the entire site to another site and will the data base move with it? Yes I'm very new to this.

But afraid it may disappear and don't want it to

Really basic question my admin backup doesn't work it, errors out, I;ve already posted request for help. But, is there a way to ftp the entire site to another site and will the data base move with it? Yes I'm very new to this.

But afraid it may disappear and don't want it to

If you cannot get the database backup in the admin to work then you should go to phpmyadmin from your hosting control panel and back the database up from there.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived