• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Canada Currency?

popo

I am very new to OsCommerce and I wonder where I can find canada dollar currency and how I can add it? any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS: I only have Euro and USA currencies at the moment.

I am very new to OsCommerce and I wonder where I can find canada dollar currency and how I can add it? any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS: I only have Euro and USA currencies at the moment.

You go to admin/localizations/currencies and choose new currency. The code for Canadian is CAD, we use a decimal point, no thousands point, and 2 decimal places. Leave the value blank. Click the insert button and then choose the update currencies button. The cart will do the rest! Oh, and leave USD as your default for the auto update to work.

:thumbsup:

Sheri

You go to admin/localizations/currencies and choose new currency. The code for Canadian is CAD, we use a decimal point, no thousands point, and 2 decimal places. Leave the value blank. Click the insert button and then choose the update currencies button. The cart will do the rest! Oh, and leave USD as your default for the auto update to work.

why not using a thousands point?? You should use it, as it makes it formal and easier to read. And set the default currency to one you're planning to accept the payments from the orders placed. If its CAD set it to CAD.

why not using a thousands point?? You should use it, as it makes it formal and easier to read. And set the default currency to one you're planning to accept the payments from the orders placed. If its CAD set it to CAD.

Hi enigma. Is it necessary to use the thousands point? In Canada we do not use anything but a space to separate the thousands column from the hundreds column. If I set my default currency to CAD can I still use the auto update feature? I would rather have CAD as my default but I was under the impression that I would then have to manually update the currency conversions.

Thanks

Sheri

if you check financial sites for example they do use the coma separator for thousands on CAD. As I understand that's a formal thing.

If you set the CAD as the default set it with a value of 1.00000000 and adjust secondary currencies accordingly for the exchange rate your store will accept. Also take into account the payment gateways you're operating with.

What auto-update feature are you talking about? Is this plain osc or some other thing?

PS: The currency autoupdate should be ok if you set the CAD to 1.00000000

but backup your dbase just in case.

Thank you very very much for the help, in fact is was so easy i feel stupid now hehe, I only have to figure how to add Quebec tax and Ontario/BC tax now.

Also, can I charge taxes in some country and not in others? or have to copy all under a new country?

In Canada we definately use a , to seperate the thousands. ie $1,000.00 is correct.

Now, can someone please shed some light on this auto update of the currencies? I was under the impression that someone had to physically click that "UPDATE" button on a daily basis from the Admin Control Panel, but I'd love it if there were not the case.

/waiting with bated breath!

In Canada we definately use a , to seperate the thousands. ie $1,000.00 is correct.

Now, can someone please shed some light on this auto update of the currencies? I was under the impression that someone had to physically click that "UPDATE" button on a daily basis from the Admin Control Panel, but I'd love it if there were not the case.

/waiting with bated breath!

Sorry, I guess I used the wrong word :blush: I should have spoken specifically about the update currencies button. That is what I meant. When you are adding a new currency it has a checkbox at the bottom which says

Set as default (requires a manual update of currency values)
. This is what I meant about changing the default to something other than US currency requiring manual updating.

I have never used a comma to separate the hierarchy of numbers. I am in Ontario and in my 30's. Maybe that makes a difference?

I found a table that discusses the separators of different currencies.

International Numeric Conventions

Canadian (French) 4 294 967 295,00

Canadian (English) 4 294 967 295.00

Danish 4.294.967.295,00

Finnish 4.294.967.295,00

French 4.294.967.295,00

German 4 294 967 295,00

Italian 4.294.967.295,00

Norwegian 4.294.967.295,00

Spanish 4.294.967.295,00

Swedish 4.294.967.295,00

UK-English 4,294,967,295.00

US-English 4,294,967,295.00

Again sorry about the misuse of "auto" :-"

Sheri

Sorry, I guess I used the wrong word :blush: I should have spoken specifically about the update currencies button. That is what I meant. When you are adding a new currency it has a checkbox at the bottom which says

. This is what I meant about changing the default to something other than US currency requiring manual updating.

I have never used a comma to separate the hierarchy of numbers. I am in Ontario and in my 30's. Maybe that makes a difference?

Well, I'm older /grin and when I went to school, way back when, we were taught to use a comma! BUT I just asked my 3 children, ranging in age from 14 to 19, all in French Immersion and they all reported that they have been taught to use a comma in french and a space in english. So there ya go!

For the auto-update if I remember correctly when I did a store with CAD currency as a default, I first set the CAD to 1.0000000 without clicking the auto-update. Then I changed the default to CAD (auto-update) so basically during the update I had 1/1 as the exchange rate for that particular database (cuz I entered the prices initially with USD currency as the default, although I wanted to use CAD) But that worked. Finally changing the exchange rate for the USD did not cause problems.

As I said, backup the dbase before experimenting with it.

• 2 weeks later...
For the auto-update if I remember correctly when I did a store with CAD currency as a default, I first set the CAD to 1.0000000 without clicking the auto-update. Then I changed the default to CAD (auto-update) so basically during the update I had 1/1 as the exchange rate for that particular database (cuz I entered the prices initially with USD currency as the default, although I wanted to use CAD) But that worked. Finally changing the exchange rate for the USD did not cause problems.

As I said, backup the dbase before experimenting with it.

May as well chime in my accounting experience has taught a "," is the seperator of choice in these situations as a space could cause confusion because some printers used to miss align multiple zeros and cause confusion. Thats my storie and I am sticking with it PLUS :D I am old. Also the up date job for currencies could probably be automated if you have cPanel X as your manager. You may be able to set it as a Cron Job, using Cron Manager. I recall seeing something about automating jobs in a contribution Google XML Sitemap i THINK.

Archived