• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax totals on invoice - Canada

I have functioning tax zones/codes for all provinces of Canada. The order total lumps both pst and gst together... pst by law must be listed seperately on the invoice. HOw do i get them to list seperately?

i don't think there's a law telling you how to detail your invoice when mailordering

i have mine displaying like:

Tax:

x% (diff. for GST/PST and the customer location)

then in the total:

x% GST: (ontario)

x% GST / x% PST : (rest of canada)

i don't think the government cares what your invoices are detailed like, as long as you pay your taxes when they're due and you're not screwing more than what's needed for your customers tax charges :)

By law they have to be listed seperately on the invoice and web site. There are several contributions and also notes in the extra folder that comes with osC. Just search the contributions for "Canada" and they will turn up. My tax is quite simple so I am not sure which one will work best for you. There are other countries that have two taxes also such as Australia so you might want to do a search for that also.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have the % of tax listed. ie Tax 15%

I have several invoices from Canadian Corporate Enterprises such as Purolator, Canadian Tire etc. and none of them seperate their taxes either ... so as you say the Government isn't out to get you as long as you pay your taxes.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have the % of tax listed. ie Tax 15%

I have several invoices from Canadian Corporate Enterprises such as Purolator, Canadian Tire etc. and none of them seperate their taxes either ... so as you say the Government isn't out to get you as long as you pay your taxes.

You also need to create a seperate tax for shipping. Shipping gets only GST no PST.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Shipping gets only GST no PST.

In Ontario shipping within Ont has PST and GST, shipping to most of the rest of Canada has just GST, shipping to the east has HST and shipping to other countries has no tax.

I'm having similar problems w/ integrating Tax Zones, Canada Post Shipping Module, and Shipping Taxes.

Problem #1:

In the contributions, I came across some instructions on setting up Tax Zones and Classes for Canada. I have set up the following (I'll use the Ontario case for brevity):

Tax Zones:

Canada (All GST Applicable Prov/Terr) - includes Zone Canada,Ontario

Ontario (PST) - includes Zone Canada, Ontario

Tax Classes:

GST / HST / PST - All Taxable Goods

Tax Rates:

GST / HST / PST - Zone: Canada (All GST Applicable Prov/Terr) - Rate: 7%

GST / HST / PST - Zone: Ontario (PST) - Rate: 8%

* both of these have Priority 1 (meaning they should be added)

I get the following problem when generating an order from an Ontario address:

checkout_confirmation.php - the tax calculated is only the 8%, not the added rates of 8% + 7%.

Also, there is no description supplied, even though descriptions are present in the Tax Rate description fields.

Problem #2:

Canada Post Shipping Module does not allow for assigning a Tax Class so that you can apply taxes to the shipping as a line-item.

Any work-arounds for this?

Much obliged!

I've solved Problem #1. This was the result of a dummy move.

I deleted all of my Tax Rates/Tax Zones prior to setting them up according to the setup I described in the previous post. BIG MISTAKE - why? Because I had all products attached to a Tax Class that I deleted instead of modified.

Now I have to go back through all of my products and update the tax classes.

Still can't figure out how to create a new taxable item for Canada Post's shipping costs.

By law they have to be listed seperately on the invoice and web site. There are several contributions and also notes in the extra folder that comes with osC. Just search the contributions for "Canada" and they will turn up. My tax is quite simple so I am not sure which one will work best for you. There are other countries that have two taxes also such as Australia so you might want to do a search for that also.

when i've filed my taxes they don't ask for copies of the invoices, they just want to know how much i made and how much i owe them

most customers don't even look at the invoices anyway..

i think even if audited... if your charges can be web-based, they could even figure it out without seeing them separately. (just subtract 7%, from the total, etc)

i think all they would require is a separation of other costs and TAX

and by my personal experience: charging customers for shipping tax scares (most of) them off. most customers think there is no tax on shipping and that business get discounted shipping.. so they will think you're ripping them off.

i rather eat the few cents/dollars per package than lose an entire order over it

Edited by eww

Yes I agree .. and I think that is why the Canadian Government is lax on enforcing a lot of its Tax display Rules .... because they know that we have so many taxes that it is rediculous and hurting businesses who do not have the money to pay for someone to redevelop their POS software etc. everytime the government decides to add new taxes or change the way taxes are calculated.

In Ontario shipping within Ont has PST and GST, shipping to most of the rest of Canada has just GST, shipping to the east has HST and shipping to other countries has no tax.

Hi I went to your site to have a look at your tax set up. I see you have seperated out the GST and PST. What did you do to get this ? Your site looks nice but I did see some calculation problems. GST on 9.99 is showing as .35 and pst is .40 . No tax on shipping . This may not be big deal on 10 buck but ...

I am getting my taxes to come out fine and have seperated shipping gst but am having trouble splitting pst and gst. I see that my descrition of taxes is being joined i was hopping you might have solved how to get oscommerce how to write these out seperately. Other modules I have tried that split GST and PST out get taxes added by oscommerce from my tax zones. If I remove my tax zones then everywhere gets GST and PST. :angry: AGH