• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Setting up oscommerce while running existing site

Hi,

Tired of feeling like I am overworking on my existing site and looking for an alternative.

Can I install oscommerce and set it up to play with while still running my existing site?

And how much creativity or freedom for creativity is there with oscommerce?

Thanks

Tom

TheSkateGuy.com

You can set it up on your webhosts server in a subdirectory while you are working on it, then move it up to your root directory when you are ready to go live. Or you could leave it in the subdirectory and create a way for people to get there.

Other people install xampp or easyphp onto their computers and work on the store locally until they are ready to go live.

If you know html and can spot php code you should have know problems at all editing osCommerce. If you are not that familiar with html then you could always install one of the template systems that can be found in the contribution area.

You can really get osCommerce to pretty much do anything you want/need it to by installing contributions and make it look the way you want it to with some time and effort. Take a look through the Live Shops and you will see what I mean. There are many that look like they are right out of the box, and many others that are hard to even recognise as being osCommerce.

Good luck!

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Archived