• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Additional databases.

dancody1979

I am thinking of starting my own business sometime in the next 1-3 years. I have used osCommerce in my previous business and and managed to create a reasonable basic website.

I have since had experience through working at 2 business and need to know how I would create a setup similar to the ones they use, I think I would need to learn how to use PHP and SQL databases.

Order is processed via web or phone - how do most people do this? I suppose it could be done through the website if there was a way to modify so staff had the ability to process orders for account holders/end users

. I think it would be better to have a Telephone Ordering System (TOS) where items could be searched for without the need to navigate the website. Items are allocated to the order.

Payment is taken for order (if not on account) by Accounts department.

Items not in stock are shown in Purchase Order Processing (POP) as outstanding in order that Purchasing can order them in.

When items arrive from supplier they are checked and booked in - when all items from an order arrived and been booked in the POP is marked as complete, when an order has all items in stock it is despatched. The items despatched are marked as picked.

you could automate the order process over the phone with a PBX like system. The customer could select options from the phone menu which can be processed by a basic application, which will communicate to the server thus placing an order. You could even have your supplier updating the stock or adding new products automatically.

Depends how much automation you would like really.

As of the products browsing/placing orders manually osc has many contributions that can accelerate the checkout procedure. You could create a more compact catalog where each page holds hundrends for products and you simply select the ones you want and add them to the cart with a single click.

Archived