• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

the perfect shop...

scotch33

THis is really just a musing (not amusing) - I have been playing with contributions for awhile now to varying degress of success and have spent many hours re-installing backups after killing something in the contribution install. It occurs to me that there must be an easier way of doing this...

Thus I have thought this - if i have a series of contributions that I like and set them all up successfully on a new install - am i right in thiniing I could thenm perform a database backup and get the while d-base, then copy the master files etc. Then to get the same install again, I simply upload a new shop and install, then replace the pages with my modified list and restore the database to the modified empty database I have backed up. Then I can complete with visual customation from there.

Have people tried this - have there been pitfalls?

THis is really just a musing (not amusing) - I have been playing with contributions for awhile now to varying degress of success and have spent many hours re-installing backups after killing something in the contribution install. It occurs to me that there must be an easier way of doing this...

Thus I have thought this - if i have a series of contributions that I like and set them all up successfully on a new install - am i right in thiniing I could thenm perform a database backup and get the while d-base, then copy the master files etc. Then to get the same install again, I simply upload a new shop and install, then replace the pages with my modified list and restore the database to the modified empty database I have backed up. Then I can complete with visual customation from there.

Have people tried this - have there been pitfalls?

Correct once you have your base contributions installed you can use it over just by copying the files and database for your new site. No replacing needed just use the files from your modifed shop only like you are moving a site.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Just a note, since it has happend to me a few times. If any of the contributions also have a mysql update associated with them, you way also have to add them.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Just a note, since it has happend to me a few times. If any of the contributions also have a mysql update associated with them, you way also have to add them.

If you have a working store with the contributions already added the database and filechanges should already match. It is just a matter of removing any product info from the store and changing the logo, storename etc.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

If you have a working store with the contributions already added the database and filechanges should already match. It is just a matter of removing any product info from the store and changing the logo, storename etc.

another thing occurred to me regarding this idea and it is related to the database backup / import etc.

If I have a store running with many products and want to import the products into a new store that I have upgraded using this method, would the import purely import the tables over tables and anything else would be left alone (a similar model to uploading a folder to overwrite a folder but only with the files inside it - all other files in the folder already online are left alone) or would it blanket replace the old database and lose any mods?

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but exactly how do I copy the database in this instance?

I have copied a heavily modified version of a store onto a different domain (4 times already!) but it keeps going belly up when I try to overwrite the database.

The process I have followed:

backup the database using oscommerce

backup the shop using cpanel

install oscommerce on the new site using fantastico

upload the backed up shop, except for the htaccess and config files. - All pretty ok up to here.

In terms of the database, I have tried different things:

- Delete the tables from the existing and restore the backed up database using the browse function in phpmyadmin - no joy.

- Delete the tables and restore the backed up version doing a cut and paste in phpmyadmin - no joy.

Each time I get the error:

1046 - No database selected

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

Can someone please help me! I have spent 3 days just on this already and really need a step-by-step idiots guide if some kind soul would please tell me how to get this sorted out.

Archived