• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

another thread regarding the configure.php writable error

LysanderSpooner

i have been reading for two hours and can ot find this particlulare version of the warning message.

i have modified the configure.php file.

afterdoing so i got the nefarious "configure.php file is writable error"

i went in with ftp and succesfully changed the permissions to 444

the error still comes in. same for 644 chmods and 777

any help for what is probablu a question asked a zillion times but has no answer that can be found within two hours on this board?

Don't stand where I told you to stand. Stand where I told you to stand!

i have been reading for two hours and can ot find this particlulare version of the warning message.

i have modified the configure.php file.

afterdoing so i got the nefarious "configure.php file is writable error"

i went in with ftp and succesfully changed the permissions to 444

the error still comes in. same for 644 chmods and 777

any help for what is probablu a question asked a zillion times but has no answer that can be found within two hours on this board?

Does anyone actaully answer on this board? Strangest community I have ever seen as far as support goes.

Maybe it's because the question has been asked and answered many thousands of times?

If you are on a Windows server then the chmod function does not work - it only works on Apache based servers.

Try using the File Manager in your web hosting control panel to reset the permissions.

If you have the Google Toolbar installed in your rbowser then you can find answers to most osCommerce problems by inputting your search term into the Google Search Box while on this site and then select 'Search current site'.

Vger

I have the same issue. Thankfully, my hosting provider has been great in helping me work through it. They suggested running the error message on Google to see what comes up. Results included something about a truncation of the language field and the need to hard code it. This did not solve my problem, and from my research, only worked for some people.

My last update from my hosting provider indicates there were many problems with permissions on the include folder as well as the configuration of database.php. I don't have details, and I don't think I'm through it yet, but at least I can get to the admin page now.

I'll post if I can find anything solid. I'm sure there's a tonne of people watching quietly with the same issue.

Maybe it's because the question has been asked and answered many thousands of times?

If you are on a Windows server then the chmod function does not work - it only works on Apache based servers.

Try using the File Manager in your web hosting control panel to reset the permissions.

If you have the Google Toolbar installed in your rbowser then you can find answers to most osCommerce problems by inputting your search term into the Google Search Box while on this site and then select 'Search current site'.

Vger

with 53,000 threads most of them with only a question and no answer, I could not read them all. Also if i had a windows machine you would be correct on your reply. I said in my post that the permissions were reset . So that is not it. All of your solutions were tried before posting. Ialso acknoweldged it probably had been posted "a zillion times."

Maybe recurring posts could be eliminated if a moderator made some sticky posts for the issue. Is the solution to really read through 53 thousand posts?

So far the only solution i have found is to reinstall and leave the error in the download path alone and not use download. It like a microsoft software solution! Live with the monor problems....

Archived