• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forum for OSC / osC Forum

I have started some enhancements to the excellent and very simple 'Forum for OSC'. This is very much a work in progress and my first contribution.

All comments welcome.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,980

osC Forum v0.3.1 - 17 Feb 2006

-------------------------------------

* Fixed a slight bug in the admin side - I had forgotten to update the edit post functions.

* Updated the install instructions for both clean and upgrade installs.

Still to come:

* Error checking on forms using messagestack

* 'Alert' button to report dubious posts

* Allow option to receive email if your post is replied to.

* Fully integrate the Admin backend in osC style & allow more options

osC Forum v0.3 - 16 Feb 2006

-----------------------------------

* Admin script now runs from the Admin side of the server

* Customers must be registered and logged-in to create threads and replies.

* Email addresses are now hidden, but registered customers can still contact each other.

* osC style buttons added for the links.

* Customer side now runs from one script - forum.php with the definitions in the language file. To add a language just alter /includes/languages/*your-language*/forum.php

INSTALL

----------

If you have an old version installed just copy over your old files and delete the catalog/forum_*.php files from your server

Hello,

great contribution. I am installing it into my development environment but may you add one more comment in your installation instruction on how install the link in tools.php... I have tried various but I am not successful.

Thx in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

I have started some enhancements to the excellent and very simple 'Forum for OSC'. This is very much a work in progress and my first contribution.

All comments welcome.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,980

osC Forum v0.3.1 - 17 Feb 2006

-------------------------------------

* Fixed a slight bug in the admin side - I had forgotten to update the edit post functions.

* Updated the install instructions for both clean and upgrade installs.

Still to come:

* Error checking on forms using messagestack

* 'Alert' button to report dubious posts

* Allow option to receive email if your post is replied to.

* Fully integrate the Admin backend in osC style & allow more options

osC Forum v0.3 - 16 Feb 2006

-----------------------------------

* Admin script now runs from the Admin side of the server

* Customers must be registered and logged-in to create threads and replies.

* Email addresses are now hidden, but registered customers can still contact each other.

* osC style buttons added for the links.

* Customer side now runs from one script - forum.php with the definitions in the language file. To add a language just alter /includes/languages/*your-language*/forum.php

INSTALL

----------

If you have an old version installed just copy over your old files and delete the catalog/forum_*.php files from your server

Hello,

great contribution. I am installing it into my development environment but may you add one more comment in your installation instruction on how install the link in tools.php... I have tried various but I am not successful.

Thx in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

For the moment I would change the admin/includes/boxes/tools.php file to read something like this...

<!-- tools //-->
	  <tr>
		<td>
<?php
 $heading = array();
 $contents = array();

$heading[] = array('text'  => BOX_HEADING_TOOLS,
				 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'selected_box=tools'));

if ($selected_box == 'tools') {
$contents[] = array('text'  => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_BACKUP . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link('forum_admin.php') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_FORUM . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BANNER_MANAGER) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_BANNER_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CACHE) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_CACHE . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFINE_LANGUAGE) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_DEFINE_LANGUAGE . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_FILE_MANAGER) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_FILE_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_MAIL) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_MAIL . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_NEWSLETTER_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SERVER_INFO) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_SERVER_INFO . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_WHOS_ONLINE) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_WHOS_ONLINE . '</a>');
 }

$box = new box;
 echo $box->menuBox($heading, $contents);
?>
		</td>
	  </tr>
<!-- tools_eof //-->

I will be addressing the naming issues when I do the full updates of the admin scripts.

If you spot any bugs give me a shout - I'm currently using this in a dev environment myself before my new site goes live.

Hi,

I have improved, and I still have a pb...

I see the forum admin screen, and the index link... But I can't do anything to configure the forum...

Any idea ?

Thx in advance,

Best regards.

For the moment I would change the admin/includes/boxes/tools.php file to read something like this...

<!-- tools //-->
	  <tr>
		<td>
<?php
 $heading = array();
 $contents = array();

$heading[] = array('text'  => BOX_HEADING_TOOLS,
				 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP, 'selected_box=tools'));

if ($selected_box == 'tools') {
$contents[] = array('text'  => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BACKUP) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_BACKUP . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link('forum_admin.php') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_FORUM . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_BANNER_MANAGER) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_BANNER_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CACHE) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_CACHE . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFINE_LANGUAGE) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_DEFINE_LANGUAGE . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_FILE_MANAGER) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_FILE_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_MAIL) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_MAIL . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSLETTERS) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_NEWSLETTER_MANAGER . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SERVER_INFO) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_SERVER_INFO . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_WHOS_ONLINE) . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_TOOLS_WHOS_ONLINE . '</a>');
 }

$box = new box;
 echo $box->menuBox($heading, $contents);
?>
		</td>
	  </tr>
<!-- tools_eof //-->

I will be addressing the naming issues when I do the full updates of the admin scripts.

If you spot any bugs give me a shout - I'm currently using this in a dev environment myself before my new site goes live.

Hi,

I have improved, and I still have a pb...

I see the forum admin screen, and the index link... But I can't do anything to configure the forum...

Any idea ?

Thx in advance,

Best regards.

Is it working on the catalog side, i.e. can you post new threads and replies? If not, check your SQL tables through phpMyAdmin to see if the tables have been created correctly by the query in the install package. The fact that it is getting as far as the 'index' link points to an SQL problem.

Forum layout is controlled by the standard stylesheet.css and the number of topics per page is controlled by your search result settings for the moment. All of the text is configurable from the catalog/includes/languages/english/forum.php file. You may want to create a /french/forum.php file if that is the main language of your site. I will be adding more features to the admin side on the next release - for the moment you can only use this to edit and delete posts.

Hello,

I have checked the base and I have found an alert for forum_post and forum_topic : Primary and Index keys should not both be set for colum 'topic_id'.

The Sql file found in the package is here :

CREATE TABLE forum_post (

post_id int(10) default NULL auto_increment,

topic_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0',

poster varchar(50) NOT NULL default ' ',

post_time varchar(20) default NULL,

email varchar(75) NOT NULL default ' ',

web varchar(75) NOT NULL default ' ',

PRIMARY KEY (post_id),

KEY post_id(post_id),

KEY topic_id(topic_id),

KEY poster_id(poster)

) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE forum_postext (

post_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0',

post_text text,

PRIMARY KEY (post_id)

) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE forum_smile (

id int(10) default NULL auto_increment,

code varchar(50) default NULL,

smile_url varchar(100) default NULL,

emotion varchar(75) default NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (id)

) TYPE=MyISAM;

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (1, ':D', 'icon_biggrin.gif', 'Very Happy');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (2, ':-D', 'icon_biggrin.gif', 'Very Happy');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (3, ':grin:', 'icon_biggrin.gif', 'Very Happy');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (4, ':)', 'icon_smile.gif', 'Smile');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (5, ':-)', 'icon_smile.gif', 'Smile');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (6, ':smile:', 'icon_smile.gif', 'Smile');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (7, ':(', 'icon_frown.gif', 'Sad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (8, ':-(', 'icon_frown.gif', 'Sad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (9, ':sad:', 'icon_frown.gif', 'Sad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (10, ':o', 'icon_eek.gif', 'Surprised');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (11, ':-o', 'icon_eek.gif', 'Surprised');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (12, ':eek:', 'icon_eek.gif', 'Suprised');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (13, ':-?', 'icon_confused.gif', 'Confused');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (14, ':???:', 'icon_confused.gif', 'Confused');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (15, '8)', 'icon_cool.gif', 'Cool');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (16, '8-)', 'icon_cool.gif', 'Cool');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (17, ':cool:', 'icon_cool.gif', 'Cool');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (18, ':lol:', 'icon_lol.gif', 'Laughing');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (19, ':x', 'icon_mad.gif', 'Mad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (20, ':-x', 'icon_mad.gif', 'Mad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (21, ':mad:', 'icon_mad.gif', 'Mad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (22, ':P', 'icon_razz.gif', 'Razz');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (23, ':-P', 'icon_razz.gif', 'Razz');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (24, ':razz:', 'icon_razz.gif', 'Razz');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (25, ':oops:', 'icon_redface.gif', 'Embaressed');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (26, ':cry:', 'icon_cry.gif', 'Crying (very sad)');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (27, ':evil:', 'icon_evil.gif', 'Evil or Very Mad');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (28, ':roll:', 'icon_rolleyes.gif', 'Rolling Eyes');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (29, ':wink:', 'icon_wink.gif', 'Wink');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (30, ';)', 'icon_wink.gif', 'Wink');

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (31, ';-)', 'icon_wink.gif', 'Wink');

CREATE TABLE forum_topic (

topic_id int(10) default NULL auto_increment,

topic_title varchar(100) default NULL,

topic_poster varchar(50) NOT NULL default ' ',

topic_time varchar(20) default NULL,

topic_views int(10) NOT NULL default '0',

topic_replies int(10) NOT NULL default '0',

topic_last_post_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0',

PRIMARY KEY (topic_id),

KEY topic_id(topic_id),

KEY topic_last_post_id(topic_last_post_id)

) TYPE=MyISAM;

any idea ?

Best regards.

Is it working on the catalog side, i.e. can you post new threads and replies? If not, check your SQL tables through phpMyAdmin to see if the tables have been created correctly by the query in the install package. The fact that it is getting as far as the 'index' link points to an SQL problem.

Forum layout is controlled by the standard stylesheet.css and the number of topics per page is controlled by your search result settings for the moment. All of the text is configurable from the catalog/includes/languages/english/forum.php file. You may want to create a /french/forum.php file if that is the main language of your site. I will be adding more features to the admin side on the next release - for the moment you can only use this to edit and delete posts.

Hello,

I have checked the base and I have found an alert for forum_post and forum_topic : Primary and Index keys should not both be set for colum 'topic_id'.

The Sql file found in the package is here :

Code removed

any idea ?

Best regards.

Ah, I see what you mean - this was the SQL from the original package. It shouldn't pose too much of a problem in most installations, but you can try the following:-

CREATE TABLE forum_post (
post_id int(10) default NULL auto_increment,
topic_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
poster varchar(50) NOT NULL default ' ',
post_time varchar(20) default NULL,
email varchar(75) NOT NULL default ' ',
web varchar(75) NOT NULL default ' ',
PRIMARY KEY (post_id),
KEY topic_id(topic_id),
KEY poster_id(poster)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE forum_postext (
post_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
post_text text,
PRIMARY KEY (post_id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE forum_smile (
id int(10) default NULL auto_increment,
code varchar(50) default NULL,
smile_url varchar(100) default NULL,
emotion varchar(75) default NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (1, ':D', 'icon_biggrin.gif', 'Very Happy');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (2, ':-D', 'icon_biggrin.gif', 'Very Happy');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (3, ':grin:', 'icon_biggrin.gif', 'Very Happy');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (4, ':)', 'icon_smile.gif', 'Smile');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (5, ':-)', 'icon_smile.gif', 'Smile');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (6, ':smile:', 'icon_smile.gif', 'Smile');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (7, ':(', 'icon_frown.gif', 'Sad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (8, ':-(', 'icon_frown.gif', 'Sad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (9, ':sad:', 'icon_frown.gif', 'Sad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (10, ':o', 'icon_eek.gif', 'Surprised');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (11, ':-o', 'icon_eek.gif', 'Surprised');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (12, ':eek:', 'icon_eek.gif', 'Suprised');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (13, ':-?', 'icon_confused.gif', 'Confused');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (14, ':???:', 'icon_confused.gif', 'Confused');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (15, '8)', 'icon_cool.gif', 'Cool');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (16, '8-)', 'icon_cool.gif', 'Cool');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (17, ':cool:', 'icon_cool.gif', 'Cool');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (18, ':lol:', 'icon_lol.gif', 'Laughing');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (19, ':x', 'icon_mad.gif', 'Mad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (20, ':-x', 'icon_mad.gif', 'Mad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (21, ':mad:', 'icon_mad.gif', 'Mad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (22, ':P', 'icon_razz.gif', 'Razz');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (23, ':-P', 'icon_razz.gif', 'Razz');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (24, ':razz:', 'icon_razz.gif', 'Razz');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (25, ':oops:', 'icon_redface.gif', 'Embaressed');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (26, ':cry:', 'icon_cry.gif', 'Crying (very sad)');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (27, ':evil:', 'icon_evil.gif', 'Evil or Very Mad');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (28, ':roll:', 'icon_rolleyes.gif', 'Rolling Eyes');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (29, ':wink:', 'icon_wink.gif', 'Wink');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (30, ';)', 'icon_wink.gif', 'Wink');
INSERT INTO forum_smile VALUES (31, ';-)', 'icon_wink.gif', 'Wink');

CREATE TABLE forum_topic (
topic_id int(10) default NULL auto_increment,
topic_title varchar(100) default NULL,
topic_poster varchar(50) NOT NULL default ' ',
topic_time varchar(20) default NULL,
topic_views int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
topic_replies int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
topic_last_post_id int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
PRIMARY KEY (topic_id),
KEY topic_last_post_id(topic_last_post_id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

I hope this helps!

I think I have the same problem as bienenf does, when I go to the forum admin section it just says "No records found!" and I have the index link as well. I can't make new post or anything.

In catalog is says "No posting records found!" and nothing else.

I used the .sql file that came along the 0.3.1 package and copied into a backup copy of my DB and then restored it again. Says everything is fine but I can't use it!

Any ideas? Would be REALLY nice if I got this working. I'm going to translate it into Swedish =)

Edited by Anemic

I think I have the same problem as bienenf does, when I go to the forum admin section it just says "No records found!" and I have the index link as well. I can't make new post or anything.

In catalog is says "No posting records found!" and nothing else.

I used the .sql file that came along the 0.3.1 package and copied into a backup copy of my DB and then restored it again. Says everything is fine but I can't use it!

Any ideas? Would be REALLY nice if I got this working. I'm going to translate it into Swedish =)

I'll be revisiting this later in the week and hope to have a new version ready. Bear with me!

Do i have to have phpbb2.0 installed before installing this contribution?

Where do I add new categories and forum sections? I have the same problems as anemic and bienenf. All i see in the admin is the "Index" link.

I was slightly confused by the packages. The only file that has to be added to the root directory is "forum.php" or do i need all other files from previous versions? In your next version, could you include a full package? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking forward to this contrib, thanks for you efforts

I am having the same problem as anemic and bienenf. I have installed everything and made the necessary mysql updates, but we I go into the Forum admin I see "Index" and below that it says "No records found". When I click on Forums in my store it says "No posting records found!". Does anyone know what is wrong? I download an older version 0.2 and it works but I want to use this newer version 3.1. oh.. I also installed version 3.0 and it does the same thing as 3.1. Please help?

Do i have to have phpbb2.0 installed before installing this contribution?

Where do I add new categories and forum sections? I have the same problems as anemic and bienenf. All i see in the admin is the "Index" link.

I was slightly confused by the packages. The only file that has to be added to the root directory is "forum.php" or do i need all other files from previous versions? In your next version, could you include a full package? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking forward to this contrib, thanks for you efforts

Has anyone been able to get these forum to work. Currently on my site I am using a different forum script but I would really like the use this one - it looks like it has a other features, plus it has an admin script. But I can not get it to work correctly. Please help if you can : )

scchristie, how is it going with the new version?

I've got exactly the same problem. When creating the tables in MySQL it says the following after each table:'# MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).'

Not sure if this helps anyone figure out what's up...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I had the same problem and what I did was manually writing the DB with phpmyadmin. I inserted one record in each table and now it's working. However, I've found that even if you're logged on, the first time you try to answer a thread it sends you to the login page, then it works fine.

Keep up the good work, it's a nice contribution. :thumbsup:

Sorry for my English (I'm Spanish)

However, I've found that even if you're logged on, the first time you try to answer a thread it sends you to the login page, then it works fine.

I found the answer myself :lol: , in forum.php line 255, the link doesn't have osCsid appended, so when you press that link it sends you to login page.

So I changed that, now it's like this:

$lc_text = "<a href=\"forum.php?action=viewthread&id=$topic_id&osCsid=$osCsid\"><b>" . $topics['topic_title'] . "</b><br>";

Bye

• 1 month later...

This is a dead croc. Incomplete installation instructions and incomplete contrib, i.e. completely incomplete.

NEWBIES should STEER CLEAR of this one !!

Trying for days now to get it 100%, but my PHP knowledge isn't good.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people, especially in groups.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I tried the same solution as jarosalen and now i can post new threads, but i can't go and se them afterwards. I get this error when cliking on a thread:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

update forum_topic set topic_views=topic_views+1 where topic_id=

The problem seems to be that the $id of this line (194 in forum.php):

$ins2 = tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_FORUM_TOPIC . " set topic_views=topic_views+1 where topic_id=$id");

makes no sense to the db.

Trying to bypass that I replaced $id with the number '1' and it updates the topic_views but i get a new error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

select * from forum_topic where topic_id=

Now i'm slowly giving up on what seems to be a great contrib... Please help!!!

Anders

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I installed GreenMamba's re-package. The install is easy and the Forum worked great right off the bat.

I was having a problem with editing posts from the admin side. It turned out that the script is requiring an email address yet not pulling one from the database (where it is stored as a customer id number and not an email address and thus can't be validated as an email address.) I cheated and deleted the email requirement, I am not as concerned about the validation thing because this data should have been validated when signing up as a customer.

GreenMamba's re-package does work. I only changed the following code on Lines 410 to 417:

function doeditpost($id) {
global $default_font, $topicid, $poster, $email, $web, $postext, $page;

if (trim($poster)=="" or trim($email)=="" or trim($postext)=="") {
  erro("Some fields may still blank!");
  }

if (trim($web)=="http://") $web = "";
check_email($email);

To:

function doeditpost($id) {
global $default_font, $topicid, $poster, $email, $web, $postext, $page;

if (trim($poster)==""or trim($postext)=="") {
  erro("Some fields may still blank!");
  }

if (trim($web)=="http://") $web = "";

All interfaces are easy to use.

The lack of controls may be a handicap if the registered users attempt spamming, flaming, ect.