• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

CC fraud what would you do

rommany

Hello Guys

I just had a order that didn't look right, it was well over the nor and they gave a PO box address, i know PO boxes are OK in the states but here in the UK banks do not send them to PO boxes.

The del address and persons name is two different people.

What would you do ?

I rung the customer and they are playing it straight, if i bill the card i will most likely get a charge back, should i call the bank or police or just leave it alone.

Ive never had one before in the UK so really don't know what people do? :blink:

Kind regards

What I would do (and have done before) is call my merchant account provider. They can give you the phone number of the card issuing bank. Then you call them and explain it. They can then call the phone number they have on file for the cardholder. Depending on their policies, they will either ask the cardholder for confirmation or they will ask the cardholder to call you to confirm it. Either way, if itworks out, you are probably ok. If it doesn't, then report back to the issueing bank. They will then investigate the apparent fraud.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

As a general rule, do not ship to PO Boxes and do not ship to a customer using two different names. You have both which suggests it is highly suspect.

You can also use Maxmind to check the likelyhood of fraud - see www.maxmind.com.

We had one like yours in the US - 2 names and a PO Box for delivery. When we phoned it turned out to be the Dept of Homeland Security who "never" had anything delivered direct!!

Good luck

Citizen of US Minor Outlying Islands

Cancel the order and move on.

Life is too short (and you have too much to do as a store owner) to chase down every fraudulent credit card order.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

Cancel the order and move on.

Life is too short (and you have too much to do as a store owner) to chase down every fraudulent credit card order.

Well, that depends on whether it is a $10 order or a $500 order. ;) If it is a big order and you can spend 15 minutes making phone calls to confirm the validity, it is time well invested.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Archived