• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Building a site around osCommerce

mindbender

Hello all,

Apparently when the people I am working for set up their "web site", they only used osCommerce. Therefore the domain that they use actually directs directly to the osCommerce pages.

Would it be possible for me to build other pages around this? Well, I know I can...but I am wondering about this url problem....because if I build a new home page, the url will not be the site address because that is currently the merchant (os) site address.

Any ideas from anyone on this? BTW, I am pretty much a newbie (novice).

Tks,

Depends on what kind of web site you're trying to set up. If it's just additional information pages, then you can easily just create new Information pages, or use an articles contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1709

Also, you might be able to drop an index.html in the directory and see if that default file is higher in the Apache defaults list than index.php. If it is, then that's all you need to build a website in that same directory. You link to the OSC shop by <a href="index.php">Shop</a>.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

The problems would come when a user comes out of the osc section into the rest of the site and then returns, when potentially they could have lost their session data. You can get around this in a little long winded way by copying a relatively simple osc page, removing the main contents and replacing them with the information you want. This way all the menu links stay defined with sessions, but it does get very long winded if you are only after some simple pages.

The contribution suggested above would be my best compromise suggestion. Good luck!

The problems would come when a user comes out of the osc section into the rest of the site and then returns, when potentially they could have lost their session data. You can get around this in a little long winded way by copying a relatively simple osc page, removing the main contents and replacing them with the information you want. This way all the menu links stay defined with sessions, but it does get very long winded if you are only after some simple pages.

This is a very good point. You should be able to avoid this though by forcing cookie use. This way you wouldn't have to pass session keys back and forth.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

True, but beware cookie blockers! Many of the newer firewall and security suites automatically put up a prompt every time you are asked to use a cookie, and forcing cookie usage will put this pop up in your users face. Alternatively, some people have higher security settings and their pc will block the cookie altogether. This is not a huge amount of your potential traffic, but well worth bearing in mind.

Thanks for the responses guys....ARrrrrgggghhh. This is really a mess.

Is there a possibility of scrapping all of what exists and starting anew? Like if I build my other pages, and somehow start a "new" osc section?

Tks,

Tom

p.s. please remember, I am a novice.

Archived