• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I'm lost

greenelephantpainting

Hi,

I think I'm way over my head here.

I want to get my store up and running by March 1st.

I can and have been putting in product. And many things I have figured out or have gotten help from people in this forum.

But there are at least two things I can't do and when I ask for help I get even more confused. No offense to the wonderful people offering the help - it is my ability to understand that is the problem.

One of my main problems is that my pictures show up fine it seems when I use them for the general product description, but when you try to look at an individual item all the page says is displaying 5 of 5 but it doesn't really display anything - no pictures and no text about each product.

The other is just attempting to change what the sample store has as text on the first page. Where I want to put my policies, etc.

People have answered both of these questions for me but I'm totally lost when they answer them. I guess I need detailed step by step directions.

So, should I hire someone to get this site up and running?

Any suggestions?

I sell a lot on eBay and have a store there that is simple to set up so I'm not new to that part of it. I just don't know any of this programming jargon.

Thanks for any suggestions to help me get my store up fast.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I think I'm way over my head here.

I want to get my store up and running by March 1st.

I can and have been putting in product. And many things I have figured out or have gotten help from people in this forum.

But there are at least two things I can't do and when I ask for help I get even more confused. No offense to the wonderful people offering the help - it is my ability to understand that is the problem.

One of my main problems is that my pictures show up fine it seems when I use them for the general product description, but when you try to look at an individual item all the page says is displaying 5 of 5 but it doesn't really display anything - no pictures and no text about each product.

The other is just attempting to change what the sample store has as text on the first page. Where I want to put my policies, etc.

People have answered both of these questions for me but I'm totally lost when they answer them. I guess I need detailed step by step directions.

So, should I hire someone to get this site up and running?

Any suggestions?

I sell a lot on eBay and have a store there that is simple to set up so I'm not new to that part of it. I just don't know any of this programming jargon.

Thanks for any suggestions to help me get my store up fast.

First thing... looking to hire someone on the forums is agains the rules, but there are a ton of great people here who help for free. : )

1. Did you install a contribution for your images?

2.The other is just attempting to change what the sample store has as text on the first page. Where I want to put my policies, etc.

To change the front page download your catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php or whichever language(s) you are using.

The text on the front page can be found right at the top.

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

Just remove everything between ' and ' so you have

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

Then add what you want between the ' and '

Keep in mind if you use a word with an apostrophe you need to add a \.

Like we're should be we\'re

Otherwise you will get errors.

This is how you edit all of the information pages as well.

Look in your language folder for the file name of the page you want to edit. Like to edit the shipping and returns page, look for shipping.php

The privacy page is privacy.php etc and so on. This also works for every page on your site if you ever want to edit something else.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Archived