• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Thumbnails - I'm Confused!

mystifier_uk

I've been searching for thumbnail contributions and posts on thumbnails and I'm getting a little confused with it all! The main two questions I need clearing up are:

1. Do I need to install something on the server before I can even have a image resize/thumbnail function? There seems to be information going around which leads me to believe I need to install something called ImageMagick or GD to allow contributions to work?

2. And if not, is there a simple contribution I can install to get it up and running?

Thanks in advance!

GD may be already installed on your server - put this in a text file and save it as test.php, and upload it to your server (in you catalog folder for example) Make sure there are no spaces at the start or end of the file:

<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL

phpinfo();

// Show just the module information.

// phpinfo(8) yields identical results.

phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);

?>

Then go to http://www.yoursite.com/catalog/test.php - you'll get a list of all the PHP modules etc that are installed.

It comes up with the following:

gd

GD Support enabled

GD Version 2.0 or higher

FreeType Support enabled

FreeType Linkage with freetype

GIF Read Support enabled

GIF Create Support enabled

JPG Support enabled

PNG Support enabled

WBMP Support enabled

Does that mean I'm good to go?

And which contribution would you recommend?

Thanks!

1. Do I need to install something on the server before I can even have a image resize/thumbnail function?

No, image resizing/thumbnails are standard. You specify the size of the thumbnail in admin and it all happens automatically.

No, image resizing/thumbnails are standard. You specify the size of the thumbnail in admin and it all happens automatically.

But OSC doesn't make a proper thumbnail - it just displays it smaller - if you start with a 100Kb image, the 'thumbnail' displayed will still be 100Kb just displayed smaller in your browser.

A proper thumbnail should be a smaller image that's less bandwidth intensive which is what the tumbnail contributions do - the one I sugested creates new thumbnail images from your originals as and when a customer's browser requests them.

Archived