• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce Newbie in search of mentor

lakefire

Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to help me. I am new to osCommerce, but I am not new to various of related software (invision forums, word press blogs) but I am by no means an expert in each field. I have created a basic template where I would like to integrate into my store. Basically I just need help with the basics then I can learn from there. I have been reading the forums and trying to find the information before asking so please excuse this if there is a good guide already on the forum.

I have downloaded and installed STS and based on my background it seems like it would be the easiest to integrate my design in. I am familiar and skilled with converting a PSD file into an HTML file, but where my knowledge lacks is adding the variable fields that osCommerce needs to integrate. If someone is willing to help guide me through the process I would much appreciate that.

If it is easiest to do it on the forums, let me know.

k, simple way - grab the sample sts file which you now have, make a copy of it and rename it. That is now your backup. If all else fails, you can go back to it by renaming it the original name again.

Now, the version you didnt rename, play with it. Wherever you see html and images being called, swap them with yours. Anything in {} brackets is needed by STS (I think anyway, long time since I used sts, but im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong) Do a couple of small changes first, see whether you are going along the right lines. Check the results, and as you progress your confidence should grow.

But remember, at all times if it goes horribly wrong, you still have that original file to fall back on - you did copy the file didnt you!!?

Have fun, play around a bit!

Tony thanks for the help. I've gone in head first and things naturally aren't going smoothly. I am currently having issues with my boxes automatically resizing on the left hand side of my webpage. Is this something that is fixable, or something that is not because of how I sliced it up. CHeck it out here:

http://kickinthehead.net/store/

Thanks in advance.

looks like you are using tables, and if you dont mean the boxes to be that height, you either need to specify a height for the boxes, or put an empty box into the bottom so it will leave a blank space for you. At the moment the boxes are filling the whole height of the column, though I am confused as to why your search box is quite that big - unless it already has a height defined...?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help tony. I got all my frames workign correctly and it is resizing correctly. I probably spent a good 5 to 8 hours just trying to fix all the darn bugs. My next step is to find some good contributions and begin uploading photographs/pictures. What is the best contribution for auto resizing images?

Archived