• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't use IP address to define Database server when installing osCommerce ?

ecomnet11

While installing osCommerce, I enter IP add of the webserver in Database server section, then click Next and the error appears:

"Database Import

A test connection made to the database was NOT successful.

The error message returned is:

Host 'server2.contoso.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

Please click on the Back button below to review your database server settings.

If you require help with your database server settings, please consult your hosting company."

If I use "localhost" instead of "192.168.0.2" (the IP add of webserver which runs apache server 2.0.50, mysql server and client 5.0.0a alpha-win, and PHP 5.0.2 installer), the installation is OK. But then, new problem arises: at localhost (webserver, mysqlserver, apache server) I can access the Homepage of osCommerce and everything is normal, but if I access that Homepage (as well as Admin page) from other PCs (in my LAN or from Internet) I can only see the text, all images are not displayed, and when I click any link on this homepage I can't access the deeper content (nothing happens).

So it means that if I declare "localhost" as Database server when installing osCommerce, the installation is OK but when accessing the Homepage from PCs other than the localhost, I can see only the interface of that Home page as text, can't see any images or any deeper content. I wonder if this problem relates to the way I declare Database server when installing, but I have no other choices because if I fill "192.168.0.2" or "server2.contoso.com" (the IP and domain name of webserver) instead of "localhost", the error as above appear and Installation can't be finished.

I still face another problem relating to database authentication. Via PHPmyAdmin, I create a database and a new account (username/password with ALL PRIVILEGES ) as guided by osCommerce installation guide. When installing, I enter the above username/password (instead of default root account) and the error appears:

"Database Import

A test connection made to the database was NOT successful.

The error message returned is:

Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Please click on the Back button below to review your database server settings.

If you require help with your database server settings, please consult your hosting company."

If I enter username "root" with no password then everything is OK. I wonder why I can't use a more-security account and how I can upgrade mySQL client ? May mySQL server 5.0 alpha have error ?

I like osCommerce very much anh hope to run it on my server correctly. Please help me. Sorry for my poor English. I'm looking forward to hearing from all. Thanks a lot in advance.

192.168.0.2 is usually the ip address of a computer and not of an online website on a commercial server.

'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' will usually define your database cnnection, but you have to know which one to use. 'localhost' is okay on most servers, but RedHat Enterprise Linux servers use '127.0.0.1'

Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

See here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

Vger

192.168.0.2 is usually the ip address of a computer and not of an online website on a commercial server.

'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' will usually define your database cnnection, but you have to know which one to use. 'localhost' is okay on most servers, but RedHat Enterprise Linux servers use '127.0.0.1'

See here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

Vger

I enter "127.0.0.1" instead of "localhost" when installing and here the results: other PCs in LAN can access the site and see all Images, can access deeper content when clicking links on Homepage, but PC from Internet can only access the Homepage (because when clicking a link, the path chodientu.homeip.net/... automatically change to server2/... which only LAN PCs can understand), and can't see any Images on the Homepage.

If I enter "190.168.0.2" as database server when installing, error reported: server2.contoso.com is not allowed to connect to MySQL server. So I think the issue is that that domain name is not correct (not acceptable, public on Internet), not because of the IP add (IP add of webserver is often hidden from Internet when NAT and Proxy server is applied).

I'll apply other public Internet-ready domain name for my Domain Controller, check and show results later.

I'm just newbie. Thank you so much.

Archived