• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question about layouts of store...

clintanderson

I have been checking out the live stores and I am noticing a common theme. I was wondering if all the stores look pretty much the same, and how much customization can be done to get a more unique look to my site. I am new to OsCommerce as you may already have guessed.

What are your feelings on customization, if anyone has time please give me your 2 cents.

Much thanks,

Clint

the amount of customization that can be done depends on your level of skill

if you consider yourself very knowledgable in html and graphics, you should have no problem redesigning your shop and taking away from the oscommerce theme

the amount of customization that can be done depends on your level of skill

if you consider yourself very knowledgable in html and graphics, you should have no problem redesigning your shop and taking away from the oscommerce theme

Indeed. Especially lately I have seen some visually very nicely done stores that dramatically escaped the standard osc layout.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

I think there are a lot of simple modifications one can do to differentiate a store from the stock look.

1-Fixed width

2-Remove/move boxes

3-Colors and fonts

4-Backgrounds

5-Header image logo

6-Main page content

All easily done and will at least keep your store from screaming "STOCK!"

Google "OSCommerce Templates" and you will find tons of stores who, for somewhere around $150, would be happy to sell you unique layouts using the OSC code.

Even if you don't decide to buy one, just browsing the different layouts shows you exactly how complex your modifications can be if you have the time, skill, and inclination.

Archived