• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Dance, SID Killing & GoogleXMLSitemap

biggles2001

Hi All

I am new here and not a pro to all this but am having fair success to date. I am listed in most engines and get good visits, but i get issues with Google.

I have trawled the forum for a few hours but am geting no-where fast!

I have spent some time clawing my way out of their sandbox and now have 18,000 pages listed. Great! Except i only have 500 odd products tops (and many not live!) so its dancing around on my SID's.

I have allproducts.php installed for spidering purposes but this is what i feel is casuing the issue. Though it gives good exposure i think its only a matter of time before i get thrown back in to the box to make sandcastles!

I have seen the contri GoogleXMLSitemap which i am considering installing and removing my homepage allprods link.

If i do this will other bots find my products ok? Will they use the googlexmlsitemap link instead?

Should i install the SID killer contri for the allprods.php and install the xml sitemap?

Is there something better i can do for managing SID allocation? Remember i'm not too techie!

As you can see from this link is do have reasonable SEO via headertags type contri (not on all products yet i might add!) so placement shouldnt be the problem, just these damn SID's

http://www.tomps.com/store/product_info.ph...products_id=921

Any pointers greatly received guys! I feel i must address this without delay! :)

Thanks in advance

Nick

www.tomps.com

Do you have the "prevent spider sessions" option in admin->configuration->sessions set to true?

Also do you have a spiders.txt file installed in your includes folder? The prevent spider sessions option I mentioned above works in conjunction with a spiders.txt file being present. OSC looks in this file to see if a visitor is a spider and therefore disables sessions for that spider. This will prevent the spider from including session URL's and therefore your indexed links will also lack session ID's.

HTH

Thanks very much for a quick reply :)

option in admin->configuration->sessions set to true?

I dont seem to have a sessions option via the config link

Configuration

My Store

Minimum Values

Maximum Values

Images

Customer Details

Shipping/Packaging

Product Listing

Stock

Logging

Cache

E-Mail Options

Download

GZip Compression

Website Maintenance

And thats it under config menu. Obviously no spiders.txt file in includes.

Any further ideas at all?

Which version of OS Commerce are you running? I am running 2.2-MS2

I have sessions instead of website maintenance, otherwise our options are exactly the same. Did you install something that changed the config menu?

Which version of OS Commerce are you running? I am running 2.2-MS2

I have sessions instead of website maintenance, otherwise our options are exactly the same. Did you install something that changed the config menu?

Well a web maintenance contri for blocking surfing and purchasing during maint. periods but thats the only mod under configuration menu i have added. Never saw sessions there before adding it tbh.

I am on an older version for sure. I am fairly sure its early MS2 though. Where could i find that out? Doesnt seem to appear in admin anywhere.

Thanks for your help on this i really appreciate it. If i cant sort it i guess i have to move up to 2.2 and thats going to be a lot of work :(

Thanks in advance

Nick

Check Admin->Tools->Server Info

BTW, the website maintenance contrib you mention is showing up exactly where Sessions should be, sure seems suspect.

You never want SIDs to show up in search engine indexes.

The reason so many pages appear is that osC presents the same data in different ways. By default, the product listing has sort headers that can create 2**N different URLs for the same list of products, where N is the number of columns. Then there's product pages with and without cPath=. Messy, and it eats bandwidth, too.

On my store, I prevent spiders from seeing sort headers and remove cPath= from product page URLs.

Check Admin->Tools->Server Info

BTW, the website maintenance contrib you mention is showing up exactly where Sessions should be, sure seems suspect.

Ok so i cant see it in there (i am sorry if i apear to be rather dumb!) but i have spoken with the guy who supplied it to me (some mods were already done for me) and he said 2.1 or 2.2 MS1 (though wasnt 100% sure either!) which may explain why the sessions link isnt there!

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place by the look of things, seems i have to upgrade to 2.2 MS2.

I appreciate your help docprego, but i think i simply have to upgrade and reinstall the mods. Not a pretty prospect.

NIck

Have a look in your includes/application_top to see if the version you are using is in there:-

// define the project version

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2');

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Have a look in your includes/application_top to see if the version you are using is in there:-

Julian

GREAT!

I have version define the project version

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS1

So that would mean i never had a sessions link?

Thanks for pointing me at that file, wouldnt have considered looking there for a version!

I really appreciate all the help everyone, i hope i will become sufficiently familiar to help with some of the basic questions about setup from new members and users, i certainly do want to contribute to the community based on the help i am getting! B)

Nick

MS1 doesn't have the Prevent Spider Sessions feature.

So the only immediate sensible option would be to use a SID Killer on the allproducts contri that i use and google find most of my products via then?

In the meantime ill get cracking on MS2 2.2 set up :)

Thanks everyone for your help - lets see if i can solve someone elses problem now ;)

Archived