• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Loads of *Custom* configuration info and help needed

CLRH2O

Hello all :)

I'm the owner of a Drum n Bass record label out of Tampa Florida - I'm developing an OSC implementation that from what I can tell - strays fairly far from what the norm is in terms interface customization. This is not to say what I'm trying to do is impossible, I'm CERTAIN that everything I need to do is.....However at my current stage of understanding with the OSC code base - I need a little help.

Currently I only have two contributions installed:

01) STS Plus 4 (most current and bug fixed version available to feb 1st 2006)

02) Download_Controllerv5.3 MS2.2

Other than that and my own obvious (or obvious to anyone who could actually be in a position of knowledge to help me I guess I should hope ;) ) changes to the stock code base of a Milestone 2.2 install.

And here is what I'm trying to accomplish and would like help with:

Look here, and follow along:

http://www.theforcecollective.com/forcerecordings/

Here is what I am currently attempting to accomplish, and any input on each point would be EXTREMELY appreciated:

01) Front page - Need to remove EVERYTHING that OSC would normally generate except for the $Bestsellers which is currently in progress to how it needs to eventually be.

01b) Need to remove: HEADING_TITLE (and the associated image at the right side)

Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in?

Or would you prefer to create an account?

01c) Need to remove: The ENTIRE "New Releases" section including the top bar "TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS" and the associated remaining two small images to the left and right of that header text.

As you can tell - I've added my 5 boxes (not OSC boxes to avoid confinement) which are the $content materials now by inserting that HTML into the appropriate section of inclides/languages/english/index.php

And that is all fine and good to a degree.

Next needs are:

02) If you click the new release box for aFlame's "Become the Shine" OSC redirects the site to the file "sts_template.html" which only (again) has two OSC $variables being called - those are, $bestsellers and $content. This time around however OSC (using the product-id url I hard coded into the image as a link using a href) it creates the $content data for screen display that is needed for what was requested..... See what's there? I don?t want ANY of that - I want to load what I'm going to show you here instead of EVERYTHING you see in the currently created default style OSC $content styled area for this product-id:

http://www.theforcecollective.com/forcerec..._release_1.html

(once again, this is only an example of the content I need to place show in this link here)

So the point is, I need to be able to control the contents of what OSC calls for it's $content variable which are placed inside the "whoknowswhatthisoneis_template.html" per each of the 4 front page "New Releases". I'm searching my arse off trying to figure out how to do these things but have had little luck on the boards for the most part. I'm making more and more progress as the nights go on but my deadline is certainly looming closer and closer and as each night rolls off.

Which cue's the remainder of my needs:

03) I need to be able to have the 5 images which appear on the front page at the bottom in the "Label Catalog" section be displayed dynamically by OSC, and have only the images shown with the correct URL attached to each for the corresponding product-id they relate to in my catalog. I'd also like this to be randomized on page load.

04) If you look here:

http://www.theforcecollective.com/forcerec...roducts_new.php

(Which I'm just linking direct to the products_new.php file for example's sake)

You can tell that the vertical (and partially the horizontal) space the product listing is taking up is throwing my site design completely out of whack. In my original design this was not an issue as I'd been using Iframes to mock up the site design. But when the issue of SSL certificates came up Iframes had to be abandoned and I'm left searching for a solution to my "space" issue so that the design of the site does not get destroyed.

04b) Along with the need to constrict the size of the new products listings, I need to be able to place a background image behind that dynamically called data AND have a scroll bar on the right that doesn?t butt directly up against the edge of the table wall on the right - I believe I have sort that with tr's and td's - but the question is - where in the WORLD do I place that HTML? Which file on the spinning file wheel of change might that one be? ;D

But wait, there's more!:

05) Looking at the first "NAV" bar button which is named "Pattern Recognition" - I need to be able to call a page that will still call all of the OSC (STS Plus 4 based) page outer edges content including the dynamic $bestsellers and the bottom of page in the "Label Catalog" area which will be randomly showing catalog items - but also display this as well:

http://www.theforcecollective.com/forcerec...red_artist.html

(again, that is just an example of the content I need to be able to load into the center of page)

And lastly:

06) The Add to Cart Page, The Update Cart Page, the Login page, the Register Page and who knows how many other pages - I need control over their looks in just the same way as what I described with point #04 that was about the products_new.php stuff.

So - Custom enough? it sure is doing my head in :D

Thank you ALL in advance who brave to attempt some help on this one. It is truly appreciated guys.

What you are asking for is advice on how to change virtually every part of your web shop. You'll find that people are much more liable to respond if you post one item at a time rather than a very long list of requests.

Vger

What you are asking for is advice on how to change virtually every part of your web shop. You'll find that people are much more liable to respond if you post one item at a time rather than a very long list of requests.

Vger

I understand I've asked many questions at once. Better to outline the entire situation at once rather than have 5 threads for the same person I thought.

I'm asking a LARGE community of people for whatever help they can provide toward one or all of the questions I've detailed above. I'd be surprised if one person acutally helped with all of the questions at once - but across the entire membership of OSC people here - I think I'll get some good help in little chunks - and hey, save the board multiple post thread about the same OSC store.

Either way - I'm still asking, and still very thank full for any and all help you guys can provide. :)

For Heading Title and Small Image

index.php

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
		<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

For New Products Module

<tr>
		<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?></td>
	  </tr>

Vger

I'm making more and more progress as the nights go on but my deadline is certainly looming closer and closer and as each night rolls off.

Perhaps you shouldn't take on a contract you don't know how to do? :-"

Crossposting is not permitted on our forums - your other threads have been deleted.

Matti

Perhaps you shouldn't take on a contract you don't know how to do? :-"

Crossposting is not permitted on our forums - your other threads have been deleted.

Matti

I own Force Recordings, I can do what I wish in terms of the labels new site and our direction forward. It's not a contract, it's my own. And only doing what you already know how to do is a waste of time the way I see it. What happened to progress?

As for the other posts - Vger said that was what I had to do with his first reply to this thread in order to potentially recieve any help here. (if this is all in fact help - which it does'nt seem to be so far for the most part)

On the flip side of those thoughts - thank you Vger for your second reply, I'm already searching those snips and seeing where this takes me.

I can't help you with your questions cos I'm just finding my way around osc myself. Just wanted to say your site is looking really good. I'm gonna bookmark it to see the finished article.

One critique, if I may. Change those blue 'Add to Cart' gifs, they don't belong there.

As for the other posts - Vger said that was what I had to do with his first reply to this thread

Vger, SHE said

You'll find that people are much more liable to respond if you post one item at a time rather than a very long list of requests

This did not mean to post one question at a time, but to posts loads of questions in seperate threads and hog the forum.

Vger

My apologies Vger.

Everything non question related aside - your original help has brought me a long way. Many of the things I was trying to accomplish have been solved and implemented at this point as a result.

Which of course brings up new issues. Such as my pixel mis-align issue which you can see in varying degree's throughout most (if not all at the moment) of the pages of my shop.

It's getting there though :)

And Spax - you've probably already figured this for yourself, but the site and ALL its many pieces of content - all the way down to the buttons - are being modified and installed as each new day rolls on through. Trust that all the buttons will be skinned as is appropriate by the end of the project.

Sorry to add another post - it wont let me edit my last one.... :/

About the Pixel mis-alignment issue which you can see in varying degree's throughout most (if not all at the moment) of the pages of my shop. If you check out any of the pages currently related to the 5 releases in the LABEL CATALOG section at the base of the page, you'll notice that since they have not had their content added yet - for whatever reason that is - the pixel mis-align issue is not happening.

Something else I'd like to solve is - when you click any of the releases to go to their related product page - the CURRENT TOP 5 (which is $bestsellers) changes from displaying the top 5 as it does on the front page, to displaying a toggle item for adding the product your viewing to an update notice...... That's cool and all (updates for customers) but it's seriously glaring piece of brokenness in terms of the total site design and I wish to have the top 5 still display as normal even while viewing a product page. Any one knows how to do this?

• 2 months later...

Like nearly all questions posed by people on these forums - you have to figure stuff out on your own, even if you are asking all the right questions.

$bestsellers - change to $bestsellersbox_only and you wont get the notification stuff on the product pages like was asking for help figuring out last month.

I'm back, a month later hitting all my old posts with all of the fixes and solutions I've figured out. Nothing like answering your own questions. But hey - if any of this helps others out there in the process - it's worth it.

Like nearly all questions posed by people on these forums - you have to figure stuff out on your own, even if you are asking all the right questions.

I disagree with your statement above. From your posts alone, lots of members helped you figure out "stuff".

"Nearly all questions posed by people" are answered by folks here on the forum. Maybe you have had a few more challenging issues that required you to do more research on your particular site.

You don't have to figure stuff out on your own, help is here on this forum.

Just my 2 cents to cover all the time that quite a few gave you over the past few weeks.

Tom

Archived