• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Specials_Module

surfalot

Abstract:

Want to display your specials in the center (main) area instead of just one at

a time in a sidebar box? With this you can.

This contribution is designed to put a products special box above

the New Products box on the main page and product info pages and also

after the product listing in the product categories browser. Each location

can be switched on or off in the osC Administrator -> Configuration -> Specials Module

You can specify the number of columns to display and the maximum number

of specials to display in the osC Administrator.

Get it here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4010

Edited by surfalot

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool module, really easy to install and manipulate, thanks for your hard work!

One small problem, the box shows fine and works great except for their is no title on the box. Shouldn't it say "Specials" at the top as a clickable link to specials? For some reason mine does not... Any ideas??

Always greatful...

Moon

"Woohoo, Just Havin Funnn!"

It should. Maybe you forgot to add the last instruction in the install file, or put it in the wrong place?

OPEN catalog/includes/languages/english.php

Add to end just before the last ?> line

// BEGIN Specials Module

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS', 'Specials');

// END Specials Module

Edited by surfalot

Doah! I didn't include the stylesheet change in the instructions, sorry. do the following change, then download the latest update I posted to the contrib and replace your /catalog/includes/module/product_specials.php file.

Open File:

/catalog/stylesheet.css

Find:

TD.infoBoxHeading {

Change to:

TD.infoBoxHeading,

/* BOF: Added for Links in Infobox Headings */

TD.infoBoxHeading A,

TD.infoBoxHeading A:hover {

/* EOF: Added for Links in Infobox Headings */

Doah! I didn't include the stylesheet change in the instructions, sorry. do the following change, then download the latest update I posted to the contrib and replace your /catalog/includes/module/product_specials.php file.

Open File:

/catalog/stylesheet.css

Find:

TD.infoBoxHeading {

Change to:

TD.infoBoxHeading,

/* BOF: Added for Links in Infobox Headings */

TD.infoBoxHeading A,

TD.infoBoxHeading A:hover {

/* EOF: Added for Links in Infobox Headings */

Ok I have done everything this post instructs.

I still have no "Specials" title on the box!!??

Anymore ideas?

Thanks

Moon

Got it sorted...

In product_specials.php

I added this at line 36:

new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

right after this:

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="'.tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS).'" class="links">'.sprintf(TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS, strftime('%B')).'</a>' );

Works great!

Moon

Edited by moonbeam

Thanks for reporting back.

You can remove the infoBoxHeading() class call that follows that. There must be something funny going on with your infoBoxHeading() class/function.

I noticed in your post that you didn't get the new file from the 1.0a version uploaded. This is how the new file reads.

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="'.tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS).'">'.TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS.'</a>' );

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents,false,false, tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS));

I see that the infoBoxHeading() function was not displaying the link it was sent. Anyway, contentBoxHeading() is just fine too. Featured Products uses it, I think I'll change that code to use contentBoxHeading() in the next update. infoBoxHeading() was intended to be used in the side boxes, but it shouldn't have mattered which is used for the box header.

Thanks for reporting back.

You can remove the infoBoxHeading() class call that follows that. There must be something funny going on with your infoBoxHeading() class/function.

I noticed in your post that you didn't get the new file from the 1.0a version uploaded. This is how the new file reads.

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="'.tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS).'">'.TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS.'</a>' );

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents,false,false, tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS));

I see that the infoBoxHeading() function was not displaying the link it was sent. Anyway, contentBoxHeading() is just fine too. Featured Products uses it, I think I'll change that code to use contentBoxHeading() in the next update. infoBoxHeading() was intended to be used in the side boxes, but it shouldn't have mattered which is used for the box header.

You know, I did get your new version loaded. However it didn't fix my problem. So I ended up reverting back to the original because I had previously made some progress with it. Featured products is where I got the idea. At anyrate it's good to go now! Thanks for your hard work, this contribution is one I have wanted for a very long time.

Always greatful,

Moon

Great contribution!! Works like a charm...I've been trying to figure out how to change the look of only that center specials box...for example...remove the box look...no border.

Thanks Again

Hi Surfalot,

I installed your Specials_Module 1.0a last night which appears to be working fine however now I have what appear to be duplicate entries in the Specials Module Admin Configuration page. I am still learning so I may have done something stupid or miss reading something.

This is what I have listed.

Limit the Scope of Specials Shown true

Show Specials on Catalog Page true

Show Specials on Categories Page true

Show Specials on Products Info Page true

Show Specials on Products List Pages true

Product Specials Columns 3

Max Product Specials 3

Max Product Specials 3

Max Product Specials 3

Max Product Specials

Cheers

i.t.gadgets

remove the box look...no border.

OPEN: catalog/includes/modules/products_specials.php

find:

replace with the following if you still want a title, otherwise just remove it. format as needed.

echo $info_box_contents[0]['text'];

Find:

new contentBox($info_box_contents);

replace with:

new tableBox($info_box_contents, true);

presto! no box!

duplicate entries in the Specials Module Admin Configuration page.

Sounds like you ran the SQL a few times, or double-clicked the Go button.

run this in your phpMyAdmin (or other SQL tool):

DELETE FROM `configuration` WHERE `configuration_group_id` = 6123;
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Limit the Scope of Specials Shown', 'LIMIT_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_SCOPE', 'true', 'Show only Product Specials that are under the current category level.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Show Specials on Catalog Page', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_CATALOG', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Main Catalog Page', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Show Specials on Categories Page', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_CATEGORIES', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Categories Page. Shown only on pages without a products list also.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Show Specials on Products Info Page', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_PRODUCTS', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Products Info pages.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Show Specials on Products List Pages', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_PRODUCTS_LIST', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Products List pages. This is best suited for column/row product list pages.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Product Specials Columns', 'PRODUCT_SPECIALS_DISPLAY_COLUMNS', '3', 'Number of columns to display product specials.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Max Product Specials', 'MAX_DISPLAY_PRODUCT_SPECIALS', '3', 'Maximum number of product specials to display in a category.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);

If you ran the SQL script, it is in your admin->configuration->Specials Module

Should be at the top of the list of items in your Configuration groups.

See the next post if you want to move it to the bottom of that configuration groups...

I just noticed the SQL install is placing the Specials Module at the top of the list of Configuration groups in the admin. If anyone wants to push it to the bottom, run this SQL. Make sure the number in `sort_order` = '50' is higher then the highest sort order already there.

UPDATE `configuration_group` SET `sort_order` = '50' WHERE `configuration_group_id` =6123 LIMIT 1;

Edited by surfalot

If you ran the SQL script, it is in your admin->configuration->Specials Module

Should be at the top of the list of items in your Configuration groups.

See the next post if you want to move it to the bottom of that configuration groups...

:blush: thanx

Hello.

Sorry to ask this here, but I didn't find another place to my question.

I would like to have another box of Specials Products, but edited separately.

So, I would have Specials and Specials 2 to have products of the day, etc. in the last one.

Any chance of doing this?

I 2 problems when installing this. firstly editing the .css file made all the infoboxes sod up. in the end i uploaded the orginal.

And this one

specials.jpg

The best sellers and the specials become 1

whats ibp image??

Edited by Pilly

whats ibp image??

sorry, don't know.

firstly editing the .css file made all the infoboxes sod up. in the end i uploaded the orginal.

You must have missed something there. maybe a brace was out of place.

hi

I were install the "Specials_Module", it works wonderful,but I had one problem.

I were install the "sppc" too. So, the file named "product_specials.php" show the price were not right.

How can I do? Please help me!

thanks very much!

sophina