• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just found this site and i've got a couple questions

yeat182

I am a photographer and i'm looking to update my website to make it easier for people to buy prints directly from me as opposed to through a third party. I stumbled across this site which looks like it would be great, but i'm not really sure how easy it is to use. Is this simple enough for a novice to be able to create something, or is experience crucial? Also, after downloading the Windows package, do i need another program to start or is everything i need included in the .zip file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ben

A basic store can be set up very easily. Customizing it to the look and functionality that you want ranges from easy to difficult depending on what you are trying to do. The good news is that there are over 3000 prexisting modifications known as contributions. And there is good documentation.

As far as osCommerce goes, the download file has everything needed for a basic install on a web server. If you are planning to set up a development copy on your local computer, you will need to install apache webserver, PHP and mySQL. This post has a link to a good all in one package for installing apache/PHP/mySQL all in one process.

Freely downloadable tools like WinMerge and phpDesigner are handy for installing contributions.

hth

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

I was a complete newbie to OS Commerce but had a bit of HTML experience and I have found it fairly easy to modify. The intimidating part is that nothing is really obvious at first. You have to change text files to modify just about everything. That said I now feel very comfortable with it and I am very happy with my site.

If you want to see what someone who had little experience with this sort of thing can do in 2 months, look at my site (you can see it if you click on my user name above).

Archived