• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

To use Ultimate_SEO_URL or not

clive

Hi

I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this.

I have used Oscommerce since its inception with a modicom of success. I have never bothered with SEO or promoting my sites. The business I received was enough for me through advertising the sites in the media and Google ads.

In December 2005 I decided to try to improve my listings and ranking for one of my sites. After reading up on it I decided to instal Ultimate_SEO_URL, GoogleXMLsitemap and Custom_Meta_tags (plus 2 others affiliate and linking. I would like to say that the affiliate programme is excellent) which I did on December 13th.

After instal I notice an immediate dropoff of visitors in a few days there were none and it has continue in that vein.

I would ask if there has been anyone else who has suffered this or have I set these programes up wrong. In talking to Matt at Google it appears the slightest thing can get you dropped.

The reason for this post is that it had been my intention to place the same programmes on another site to increase its placing. This other site is a basic oscommerce setup apart from affiliate and links being added.

To get the maximum out of the Custom_Meta tags I removed the robots.txt from site 1 so that the spiders could read all pages.

In the last few days I removed the robots.txt from site 2.

On reveiwing the Google sitemaps this morning I noticed that site 1 had had 8 pages listed.

Site 2 exactly the same structure as 1 had had 1850 pages listed in addition to this Googlesitemaps showed keyword results, page rankings, Common Words In your site's content and external plus other results which site 1 has not got.

I would seek your help in deciding whether I should now put Ultimate_SEO_URL & Custom_Meta_tags on site 2. This is no reflection on either contrib I have great respect for them only a concern that something has triggered Googles displeasure which I do not want to repeat on site 2. I was wondering whether with Custom Tags that all pages initially would have the same Title and Meta tag content causing Google to think you were duplicating or padding or whatever it is called.

I do not think that the problem between these 2 sites is the lack of Google to visit them. Both sites from the logs show that Google never leaves either site. It has taken up residency, as has MSN.

This would raise a question. Can someone explain the discrepantcy between what Google and MSN see when they scan site 1:

msnbot.msn.com - - [09/Feb/2006:12:09:38 +0000] "GET /catalog/wigs-c-55.html?osCsid=4jiju5p02bfiec85istcu27i01 HTTP/1.0" 200 33574

crawl-66-249-66-234.googlebot.com - - [29/Jan/2006:13:59:22 +0000] "GET /catalog/big-john-pi-460.html HTTP/1.1" 200 657

both show as html but MSN puts in much more has this any bearing?

Any help would be much appreciated

:rolleyes: No experience is ever forgotten!

There is nothing wrong installing the first two contributions. I am not familiar enough with the third to say either way but I suspect it doesn't make things worse. I'm assuming it adds meta tags to your site. Since they, presumably, were not there before, the SE's would see those pages as changed significantly. Making changes like this can cause a drop-off in your index position but it should be a short dip if you were already positioned correctly. Removing the robos file is a mistake. It tells the bots not to visit certain parts of your shop.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

There is nothing wrong installing the first two contributions. I am not familiar enough with the third to say either way but I suspect it doesn't make things worse. I'm assuming it adds meta tags to your site. Since they, presumably, were not there before, the SE's would see those pages as changed significantly. Making changes like this can cause a drop-off in your index position but it should be a short dip if you were already positioned correctly. Removing the robos file is a mistake. It tells the bots not to visit certain parts of your shop.

Jack

Thanks for your imput it is much appreciated.

I will try the 2 contribs on site 3 (not so important as site 2) and see what happens. As to you comments about robots.txt. I have always used this file until recently. Yesterday as a further way of promoting site 2 I signed up for Googles adsence. There instructions state that having a robots.txt in place will stop adsence working. It appears you cannot win either way.

I've never heard that before. I use both without any problems but google is known to change the rules. Do you have a link to where they said that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons