• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce Vs THE WORLD

Mr Powers

Hi everyone,

I am very new to the world of oscommerce, open source projects and general ecommerce solutions.

I have been steadily preparing to launch my business online for about 9 months (fools rush in!!!)

Studying from what it seems like to be every possible ecommerce solution available on the net, I have gradually decided to use OsCommerce!!!

BUT................ due to the nature of my business, I will eventually need some very 'unusual' contributions to be developed.

My main question is this, OsCommerce from what I have read is a great package for quick web deployment, and makes great for a sturdy starter ecommerce site (advanced, with knowledge of coding)

But can i t really compete with the like of;

*Ofbiz

*Compiere

*Mail Order Manager

to name but a few packages which so many 'silver tongued' salesman have tried to sell to me over the past 6 or 7 month.

and if Oscommerce is capable of competing against companies like these, Why isn't it?

I've yet to come across a true international reatailer using this software, companies which may have the sorts of budgets which could afford dedicated programming staff to work on contributions on a daily basis (if thats possible)

I may not understand the true direction of where the original authors want Oscommerce to go, but surely to be deployed in a multi-environment, large scale, truly international selling environment would fully showcase the softwares potential!!!!

just a thought!!!

your comments please.

P.S Please make a multi-store contribution a standard in MS3

My opinion, osC is OPEN-SOURCE, free to the world, only limited by your imagination...

Why don’t people exploit it?

Allot of developers mod it enough to sell a shopping cart package, but usually its passed up by allot of potential users because it takes time and knowledge to setup. EVERYONE WANTS A QUICK FIX so they'll pay someone to put together a package and set it up. But its my understanding open-source is for the guys that want an alternative built on team work, not competion.

Why don’t they make features standard?

That’s fine is you want to look like every other store, but the great thing about osC you can make it do just about anything, which is why you don’t notice the big boys out there with their fancy sites... who learned how to make the osC base work for them.

Myself, I'm personally involved in my business and I want my website to reflect that. I don’t want to be limited by a developer who’s going to charge for every mod, hack, and minute I include, and then be enslaved to his services. I guess that comes from being independent and self employed.

Just my opinion

I concur with Naegle's points.

The extensibility of osCommerce is unlike anything I have ever seen elsewhere (and I have used other well known proprietary packages and tested several open source solutions). When you buy into one of those high dollar proprietary systems and need custom functionality, your only recourse is to approach the company you got it from. IF they will even take on the project, it will very likely cost much more than the base package did. Even the preexisting mod's cost will add up in a hurry as you setup the store you need.

With osCommerce, if you need a custom feature that isn't already one of the over 3,000 contributions and is beyond your own skills, you can hire any freelance php programmer to do it and usually at a very attractive price.

On the issue of making features standard, In my case and that of many others, having the multi-store functionality built in would be just a lot of extra baggage. In my opinion, this is why it is better to have a rather basic core package with many available add ons that you can choose from ala carte. That way everyone can build the store they need without uneeded complexity and bloat.

My 2?

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

I've yet to come across a true international reatailer using this software, companies which may have the sorts of budgets which could afford dedicated programming staff to work on contributions on a daily basis (if thats possible)

How about Google ? :D

I may not understand the true direction of where the original authors want Oscommerce to go, but surely to be deployed in a multi-environment, large scale, truly international selling environment would fully showcase the softwares potential!!!!

just a thought!!!

your comments please.

P.S Please make a multi-store contribution a standard in MS3

Please don't. Not everyone needs that and the strength of osCommerce is, I think, that it can be extended to everyones wishes thanks to the large userbase and all contributions donated.

Yeah fair play, Google utilises OSc for a small side of its business, but primarily google are a search engine.

I looking for a big retailer???

can anyone recommend a developer for contributions that I could employ????

I need a decent turnaround + ongoing support ;)

Archived