• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

removing htaccess file

Hi

I am trying to set up oscommerce in HostRocket and it is asking me to manually delete a file in the domain directory. I showed an images file to delete which I did but now asks to delete the htaccess file which I can't find.

Please Help!

Thanks

Steve B.

It's a .htaccess file and you'll need to set your ftp client to show hidden files. By default files starting with a '.' are normally hidden.

But I'd question the wisdom of installing on any server which does not permit the use of .htaccess files. There are plenty of hackers around looking for opportunities and .htaccess is your first line of defense against them.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

Thanks Alan

Any idea why HostRocket would want me to remove that file to install oscommerce? It is part of their

install process. Should I install it another way?

Steve

It's a .htaccess file and you'll need to set your ftp client to show hidden files. By default files starting with a '.' are normally hidden.

But I'd question the wisdom of installing on any server which does not permit the use of .htaccess files. There are plenty of hackers around looking for opportunities and .htaccess is your first line of defense against them.

Thanks Alan

I got it working

Steve

Thanks Alan

Any idea why HostRocket would want me to remove that file to install oscommerce? It is part of their

install process. Should I install it another way?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived