• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Unique site for jewelry makers has launched!

Sharon_U

Hello everyone, I'm looking for comments and/or feedback for my recently launched site. I still have products that I'm going to be adding and the SSL to look into (the padlock does not stay put). Other than that --I'm ready to drum roll and invite you to visit My Webpage.

Thanks in advance for visiting and your time to comment!

Sincerely,

Sharon

First couple things I noticed: Your site doesn't give off a very professional air from the layout. It just kind of looks half-amateurish to me.

Your buttons don't match your design, also (add to cart, buy now, etc.)

I recommend installing a contribution like fast easy checkout to speed up checkout - I dislike the basic osc checkout.

I'd make the description more elaborate - "This softly rustic folded heart charm is imbued with the essence of a heart that refuses to break." etc. I can't write that sort of prose, but I hope that conveyed what I meant.

Obviously, fix the SSL certificate.

(Also, your heart with wings toggle is adorable.)

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

Thank you for your time to comment, Gillian. I appreciate it very much and I will look at making these improvements you mention. I especially like the combined login/create account contribution, and will give that a go soon. Thank you!

About the SSL not working properly, long story short no one could set me straight on it. I first researched my dilema and tried various path names and hints offered on the forum. I got a comment "something is definitely wrong here." I asked my webhost guy for some help to look at things, however I'm still at a brick wall and he's the one that issued the SSL certif.

About the buttons, I'd like to have matching ones all the way around. Will do that soon (left that as a loose end for later).

Also -improving product descriptions to make people fall more in love with it --will do that.

THANKS again so very much!

Sharon

Hi Sharon. I absolutely love your infobox headings - really nice, and immediately made me relaxed and comfortable looking around your store. However, I am not going to give you a completely easy ride, and I noticed a couple of points which you may or may not want to hear! lol

First, having made me so relaxed, you then have all your category names in CAPITALS, the same with INFORMATION - stop shouting at me!! You may actually find that all lower case has amuch more laid back feel to it.

Second, having invested the time into making your gorgeous infobox headers, finish the job - open up your stylesheet.css file and get your text into complimentary colours. I would really like to see your main text in that deep green from your header bar, and headings in the peach or pink from your infoboxes. This would really liven up your pages, and again help with the relaxed feel.

I would also be tempted to put your site into an 800 pixel wide limit, with a nice background image around this 800 pixels using that green, peach and pink combination on a white background. Some of your pages look very plain, and this would lend a bit of colour without making your pages busy.

I agree you need to change your buttons, and I will be interested to see these when they are done. I like the change of text from "No products found" to "There will be some new things here shortly" - nice touch. If you are doing your own photography, particularly with silver, try your absolute hardest to take the picture on a plain white background. It makes the products fit your site better, and shows them off to the best effect.

Overall, I like it, but it does still make me think work in progress.....I like where its heading, I just dont think its got there yet! Have fun!

The first thing I noticed was also all the infobox headings. However the borders around all of them jumped out at me. Just a suggestion, but maybe you could get rid of those borders and add a tint to the background of you infobox header images. I think it will give a more organic feel to the site, whereas the borders create a blocky and unbalanced appearence. Especially when your right column only has two boxes in it.

Also, your phone,email, and copywrite info at the bottom appear distorted in my browser. (firefox). Im almost certain its just too small a size for that font. Looks like times new roman to me.

Better to go with verdana/arial. They are more easiy read.

You can go with 7-8 pt verdana for that text and it still looks good.

EXCELLENT suggestions; I've very grateful for everyone's time and will take necessary action to tidy up things even more, making things more relaxed, less blocky and more finished.

Sincerely,

Sharon

P.S. The right column should have 3 boxes, the cart, the best sellers and specials, no>?

Hi Ruth, thanks for your valuable feedback. I did change my screen res and I see what you mean --it looks like a design flaw. Unfortunately I'm not up to speed on the php files and which one I would edit without research (you can tell me or I'll look into it).

How many people do you think use this 800x600 screen res? It seems pretty unusual to me. Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

Sharon

First, I'm partial to craft-related sites, so kudos there *wink*

Secondly, I really like the ad copy on the main page - so many miss this where it's important for 2 main reasons - You talk to the customer, like a greeter at the door. Also, you add more words/keywords for the search engines to pick up on.

Being on dialup - your images take awhile to load - might want to check the file size for each image ...

If you can't think of more description for a particular product - how about adding in project ideas. Case in point - the Kyanite Beads Teardrops 6mm. Not too much description there. Next paragraph can list a few project ideas for these. Have you personally used this item? If so, so off what the Owner of sharonunlimited.com has done with them. Not only have you personalized your site just a little more (again, talking to your customers), you also give more fuel to the search engine fire.

In the About Us section - is that a picture of you Sharon? If so, perhaps put a little line below or beside the picture describing where it was taking - national park or ??? Again, more personalization.

Overall, great site! I've been getting Fire Mountain Beads catelog and have spent about $3K in my dreams LOL Might have to bookmark your site for when money comes into my pockets ;-)

Hi Ruth, thanks for your valuable feedback. I did change my screen res and I see what you mean --it looks like a design flaw. Unfortunately I'm not up to speed on the php files and which one I would edit without research (you can tell me or I'll look into it).

How many people do you think use this 800x600 screen res? It seems pretty unusual to me. Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

Sharon

well, I actually measure the screen resolutions of my clients and I can tell you that surprisingly many are on an 800x600 resolution.

Treasurer MFC

Tons of people out there still using 800x600. Good idea to use that as a guidline when editing sites.

It's a cute site. The colums seem kinda big to me but atleast they are readable.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thanks for the latter compliments (Barbara and Wendy)! The feedback for improvement is very valuable to me. Thank you. I think there is an interesting challenge with personalizing a site to give a warm and friendly feeling and keeping it professional and somewhat commercial (so people take it seriously). My goal is to sit rested there in the middle.

Thanks again, everyone, for helping me to get the site more refined! Especially going to look at the 800x600.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Yes, please put your site in a fixed width table. Also your site needs a logo/better header. I think the layout is very much like the default OScommerce. Try changing some icons like in all your boxes I would change the little arrows because it does not go with the big title headers you have for each infobox.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

Archived