• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HELP! Customers getting past the cart to Paypal

raindays

This problem is well documented, I spent a lot of time reading about the various solutions. It happens because a customer does not return to your site after completing the puchase at PayPal. When this happens OS Commerce does not log a sale but you still get the payment. The problem as you have seen is that PayPal only gets your store name so you do not know what has been sold.

Basically you have a copule of options:

1-Install an alternative PayPal IPN which logs the order before the customer gets to PayPal.

2-Install the contribution called Better PayPal Description which sends the item names to PayPal.

3-Turn on auto return at PayPal, but this does not solve everything as PayPal has a policy where certain (new) customers can opt to not return to your site.

4-The worst option I think is to do none of this and e-mail the customer asking them what they purchased, totally unprofessional.

I used a combination of #2 and #3 above along with text on my payment option page urging the customer to return to my site after the transaction is completed. I figure between these 3 measures I will all but eliminate this problem.

1-Install an alternative PayPal IPN which logs the order before the customer gets to PayPal.

I have a similar problem -

I tested the payment through paypal. but I clicked on the 'return to site' button. Still there is no record of the order and no email ever was sent to us.

is this a different issue?

how/where do I install the alt Paypal IPN?

Thanks

Go to the contribution section and download the PayPal IPN of your choice. It will come with instructions on how to install it.

As far as your problem goes that does sound like a different issue.

Archived