• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Products in Euros, Checkout in Dollars

I need to specify my products using a default currency in Euros, allow for currency conversion into dollars and canadian dollars, and then during checkout, send the CC payment information in Dollars...

In other words, the products I buy for resale are purchased in Euros, but sold to my customers in dollars, and my merchant account only accepts USD.

Any way to set up osCommerce to function this way? I tried to put my default currency as Euros, which works great for currency conversion, but when the order goes to my merchant account it looks as it is converting it back to euros to make the purchase instead of using dollars.

Is there a place to specify the currency you would like to make purchases in?

I am using the authnet module

Thanks, this is a new cart, and we need to fix this one item before we can take it live and get rid of a nasty, icky, sucky shopping cart service we have been using...

The way I set up my shop was to force conversion to the default currency on each of the checkout pages. I think you could do the same thing but force conversion to USD - probably currency 1.

Probably it is as simple as setting you default currency to Euros and putting near the top of the pages where you need it:

$currency= 'USD';

OK I know this doesn't help with the C$ case.

It would be a good idea if the customer profile included their currency

The way I set up my shop was to force conversion to the default currency on each of the checkout pages. I think you could do the same thing but force conversion to USD - probably currency 1.

Probably it is as simple as setting you default currency to Euros and putting near the top of the pages where you need it:

$currency= 'USD';

OK I know this doesn't help with the C$ case.

It would be a good idea if the customer profile included their currency

Is it possible to slide the task above $currency='USD' into the script right before the payment is made? This way the checkout would still be available in their currency, but the payment would be performed in dollars?

It is important that the user see his order in the currency he chose to make his order in, but that the payment be converted to dollars before delivery...

Thanks for the help! :D

You would, I suspect, need to change the interface with the gateway to do the conversion at that point, but if your customers are buying the products in dollars, when not show them the price in dollars too?

If it's not actually illegal to show a price in one currency and charge them in another, then it contravenes every code of practice I have read for on-line retailing. What will you do when your customers, on receiving their credit card bills, complain that they have been overcharged by 5%?

I ask because I recently had to request that my bank do chargeback on a merchant who invoiced me in that way and wasn't available to reverse that transaction.

Isn't there a contribution that allows them to see prices in both currencies?

You would, I suspect, need to change the interface with the gateway to do the conversion at that point, but if your customers are buying the products in dollars, when not show them the price in dollars too?

If it's not actually illegal to show a price in one currency and charge them in another, then it contravenes every code of practice I have read for on-line retailing. What will you do when your customers, on receiving their credit card bills, complain that they have been overcharged by 5%?

I ask because I recently had to request that my bank do chargeback on a merchant who invoiced me in that way and wasn't available to reverse that transaction.

Isn't there a contribution that allows them to see prices in both currencies?

I will show them the currency they wish to see, BUT, the prices originate in Euros, then get conversion into their currency of choice. The base product price that gets converted must be in Euros. Thus the dollar costs can "float" based on the currency rate. Problem is, if I set the default currency to Euros, the system tries to initiate purchases with my merchant account using the default currency, the value set for Euros, rather than the converted price for dollars. :(

If there was a way to display their products in the currency of choice, converted from euros, then initiate the purchases using the dollar currency when it send it to the merchant account that would be ideal...

The problem isnt in the display of currency, but rather the currency used by the merchant account interface. I dont want it to use euros to purchase via the merchant account, but to use the coverted dollar amount...

I will look at the interface but am not a PHP programmer so if there are any out there who want to take a look at the authorize.net merchant interface to modify to purchase in dollars I could use the help!

Thank you!

In the authorizenet.php file I was able to find where the post to the merchant account is formated... changing this from $currency = "" to $currency = "USD" seemed to work for the authorize side. Now I will look into paypal...

This seems to be the answer I was looking for. Thanks to all who helped lead me to it!

Thank you :lol:

Archived