• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

==BIG PROBLEM WITH INSTALLATION===

alexpeth

basically ive followed the pdf supplied with oscommerce and done everything correctly then got to the actuall installation and had a problem with the register_global problem but solved that with a php.ini file in folder, so then got to step 2 on the installation after filling in the database information and then click continue and then it kind of freezes well here is a screenshot from another post:

error.jpg

i've tried everthing, i need to have this shopping cart!!

Any suggstion would be greatly appriechiated.

well im using http://www.freesql.org/ as a MySQL database and ive set up an account, with a blank database called "oscommerce";

but i haven't done anything with it like set up any tables etc, the installation guide doesnt say you have to have one set up??!!

do i need to do that? and if so what do i do??

but if you look at the screenshot above, it doesnt even give a error message it just instantly shows this picture!!

I've noticed that there are many posts on the web and this forum about this issue but none have really been answered and have never answered it for me.

Any ideas>???

The problem is that there are so many reasons why this can happen.

1. If this is an install on a local web server, and it is set up correctly, then you will have ROOT access and the Install won't require that you set up a blank database ready to be populated by the Install - because it will have the necessary permissions to create one. On a shared server, which most 'hosted' websites use, you won't have ROOT permissions and so will have to set up a blank database first.

2. One of the most common cause for installation getting stuck in step 2 is that most recent PHP installations have register_long_arrays = OFF

This needs to be turned to ON in the php.ini file (you will need to

restart your web server and/or restart the server to get this change to take effect.)

Vger

yes i sorted out register_Globals and register_long_arrays by making a php.ini file in the folder "catalog" and admin and the register_globals thing worked because before i couldnt get onto the installation so hopefully now the register_long_arrays works so thats ruled out that!

so how do i do this database thing?

would you be able to give a step by step process of creating one?? that would be gratelly apprieciated - i need this so much!

Thanks!

If this is an online install the you'd just go to your web hosting control panel and find the link there to create a blank database. The Install procedure would then import the default data into it.

If this is an offline install (on a local web server or Intranet) then you should have ROOT access and not need to create one before you start the Install.

I'm not sure what you've done with regard to MySQL. The site you refer to has major problems of its own, as it's been showing that message about a server crash for a long time - many months or maybe longer. Doesn't your hosting company provide MySQL databases?

Vger

well its with Heart Internet and it depends on what package you have!!

ive been onto the database (logged in) this is on the old server! and went onto the database called oscommerce1 and it says: No tables found in database. the it says i can create one (a table) do i need to do this or wil oscommerce do this for me???

if it's not the database or the register_long_arrays, then what could it be>?>?

If this is an offline install (on a local web server or Intranet) then you should have ROOT access and not need to create one before you start the Install.

Vger

I have root access and the install create a database, but the procedure stop always at step 2.

Please, help me :(

I am having the same problem when installing with Windows XP, PHP 5.1, Apache 2...not sure what's going on...would like to know if anyone has any suggestions...thanks...

the issue with not seeing the database information or fields can be attributed to using PHP 5.1.. you will need downgrade to php 4.4.1. i had to setup multiple versions of php to run my other apps and use php4 for this one (make sure us install php as CGI not isapi).

with that said, i do however have an issue with the database portion. i have ports 8000 and below blocked in my firewall and do not have the ability to open them (isp issues). so routed mysql to port 60000. i created a db prior to the installation of osc 2.2. when i get to the db (step2 of the online setup) it will not accept localhost:60000 nor will it accept ipaddress:60000. at that point i am stuck. did some searches in that description and nothing tells me if osc is compatible with mysql on other ports other than default.

I have the same problem before. It was resolved by adding the extension mysql.so to the php.ini. My problem was due to mysql_connect function undefined which caused the page to freeze during installation. I am using Xandros Linux, it may be the same with windows.

here is the error message. does the db need to be mysql 4? this was using root to see it it was an issue.

error.jpg

I'm getting the saem error. Checked all my logs and I can't find anythign to indicate where to look to correct this. And all MySQL related items are all at their latest releases so they are ALL current.

My error occurred while attempting to use root as well.

My Contributions

Henry Smith

I'm getting the saem error. Checked all my logs and I can't find anythign to indicate where to look to correct this. And all MySQL related items are all at their latest releases so they are ALL current.

My error occurred while attempting to use root as well.

it seems that the main issue with this is old-passwords to be enabled in your mysql config. look at this link http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html

i ended up making 2 installs of mysql, one of mysql4 (old-password enabled) for oscommerce, and mysql5 for other apps. i also have 3 installs of php, 441 for oscommerce (register_globals = on) , 503 for other php apps, and 511 test/php apps.

i have a 2k3 server with iis6 running php in cgi mode not isapi (only way to have multiple versions)

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?act...%2Bold_password

hope this helped

Can i just say, how much has this gone off topic!!!!!

i started off with my topic and problem - which still hasnt been answered, and now you lot are on a completly different error!!

My bad alexpeth,

It was early in the morning and scanning across the answers and not the posters lead me to believe that the new error was something the original error had progressed to. Aiding in this thread going off-topic was unintentional.

Henry

My Contributions

Henry Smith

Archived