• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Simple instal question

Tjobbe

I'm having problems with my online shop (seperate thread). And I'm thinking of just doing a fresh install.

I have a database on my existing store and I'd like to know if by simply importing it if it will cause problems?

The instal I have is *roughly* two years old, and I need to know if the database configuration has changed in that time that will prevent me from doing this?

I'm having problems with my online shop (seperate thread). And I'm thinking of just doing a fresh install.

I have a database on my existing store and I'd like to know if by simply importing it if it will cause problems?

The instal I have is *roughly* two years old, and I need to know if the database configuration has changed in that time that will prevent me from doing this?

If the old is 2.1, it is as different as sunrise and sunset. I did manage to get my customer data move from a 2.1 store to a 2.2MS2 store but that was enough for me. Probably easiest to start from scratch than to try that, else major headaches will occur. I started with a host provided copy in 2003 and the 2.1 (showed copyrighted in 2002) was already outdated. I found this out after I had been up and running about a year. If your copyright info in the footer hasn't been changed or remove, your version number should be determined from there. If it is a 2003 copyright, you could try to just import the data, but you might be importing the problems as well.

www.djscollectables.com

The copy I have is copyright 2003, so i believe its 2.2.

Is this ok just to import - providing obviously theres no problems with the db itself!

You can always give it a try, worst that might happen is it doesn't work. If it doesn't, just delete it and start from scratch (install multiple products mgr to easily remove products or a contrib that lets you delete your whole database (instantly) if you run into trouble). You shouldn't be out too much time importing (even adding the contrib to delete it) so it should be worth the effort.

www.djscollectables.com

Archived