• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

my store not live yet but would like feedback

spudeov

hi guys this is my store

http://extremesystems-uk.com/shop

its a shop selling watercooling systems for computers in the uk, i still have a bit of work to do.

I have to creat a logo which is in the making and i need to creat a pic saying "no photo avlible" this is in the making as well

This is my first time opening a shop and using oscommerce so please be gental

spud

hi guys this is my store

its a shop selling watercooling systems for computers in the uk, i still have a bit of work to do.

I have to creat a logo which is in the making and i need to creat a pic saying "no photo avlible" this is in the making as well

spud

You must make a point of installing an AutoThumbnailer (OnTheFly GDThumbs - worked brilliantly for me) - check the member contributions.

A tricky mod, but well worth the effort. Of all the mods I did to my OSC site, this one had the biggest impact.

Your page load times will be much quicker as well.

:D

Never underestimate the power of stupid people, especially in groups.

hi guys this is my store

spud

Some more thoughts. The font you're using for the header and footer bars doesn't look right. You should maybe try staying with the Tohoma, Arial or Verdana fonts - they're much cleaner and well defined (i.e. pleasing/readable to the eye)

On the top of each products page you have 'On This Page!' - I've just been browsing this forum and I saw something about getting the category name to show instead, which considering your range of categories, would be a good idea. To get there goto the main Oscommerce Community Support Forums page - search for "date expected" and then look near the end of page 3, that'll point you in the right direction.

can u post me the link as i have looked and cant see it it

alos does the thubs thing work with gif, jpeg?

thanks

for ur feed back

spud

I'm not sure how to link these contributions to a message yet..

I can tell you how to get there, from the menu at the top click; Community > Contributions > Images. About third from the top of the list you'll see 'On The Fly AutoThumbnailer using GD library', click that and you'll get another list. I used Version 1.5 (Dec 2005), download it, unpack and view the readme file.

To confirm yes it does support gif & jpg - I haven't tried png yet.

Remove the Language and Currency boxes as there is only 1 currency and language available. The less boxes the better.

Remove the "1313 requests since..."

Include your address and phone number in the contact us file.

I think the Search Box should be at the top of either right or left column.

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

For someone new to OsC, you are on the right track.

1 - remove the number of products in each category (categories box). No need to tell the customer which categories have few products comparied to others. This might deter them from even open the category that has only two products.

2 - Your header graphic (site name) does NOT match your site at all. Please create another one that matches the color/design of your site.

3 - Remove/replace the OsC stock clipart that appears in the upper right corner of each section - they do not match the design of your site.

4 - Your icons in each box header does not show - just the red x placer - are your images uploaded to the image file?

5 - Remove the Language and Currency boxes since you only serve one language and currency.

6 - Remove the number of requests at the bottom of the site - no need to let customers know how few hits you have received.

7 - Need to have some company info such as address, email addresses, phone number, etc.

8 - Without any borders, all your right, left, and middle columns seem to be mushed together.

9 - Need to replace the stock buttons: buy now, continue, etc.

10 - Clicked on one product (Maze 4 for AMD) - why would you have a link to another e-commerce store that sells the same products for the most part as yours? You might be sending sales to a competitor! If they have information on a specific product, copy that on over (re-word to avoid plagarism!).

You're off to a good start! Keep up the great job!

hi guys and thanks for your replys! i have read and are in the middle of doing them as a friedn of mine is doing some of the grpahics for the site, and beacuse he is 11hrs in front its hard to talk to him.

1. how do i remove the number of products in each catagory?

2.logo is being done!

3.the stock logos are being removed

4. so of the igames are not on the server, im in the middle of doing a pic to say no photo avalible

5.how do i revoem the language and currncy bar?

6. how do i remove the number of request at the bottom of the page?

7. i was thinking of putting my address in the contact us, but was unsure about it as im working this site from home! what do you guys think! is it safe to do it

8. can u explain more on this please?

9. the stock buttons are hopefully being done as we speak aswell

10. the site im pointing to when u click on more info goes direct to the manufactories website, and i know they sell the same stuff as me. If this is a bad point how can i not add a website and take a way the link?

Thanks guys

6. how do i remove the number of request at the bottom of the page?

The file in catalog/includes/footer.php

The code starts on line 15.

I have included the "IP Address" that will show in the centre of the footer, if you like.

The "number of requests.." is commented out (the 3rd td)

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

<tr class="footer">

<td width="33%" class="footer"> <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?> </td>

<td width="33%" class="footer" align="center">

<?php echo 'Your IP adress: ' . tep_get_ip_address(); ?>

</td>

<td width="33%" align="right" class="footer"> <!-- <?php echo $counter_now . ' ' . FOOTER_TEXT_REQUESTS_SINCE . ' ' . $counter_startdate_formatted; ?> --> </td>

</tr>

</table>

Why don't you just go to contributions page in oscommerce.com and install the STS contribution to make things easier for you?

You need to change a lot of things at your site, tho.

At first there is NO SKIN. Just black.

Logo doesn't match at all. Icons are the default oscommerce that tey just do not feat there.

A lot of things need to be done... Sorry

Spyros

I'd also adjust the window sizes for the images.

When selecting an image on some of the products, the window does not open to the size of the image and I need to manually drag it open. Not a big deal, though if I was browsing through a large quanity of items, it would start to become a pain in the neck.

My Contributions

Henry Smith

Why don't you just go to contributions page in oscommerce.com and install the STS contribution to make things easier for you?

what does the sts stand for? please explain im going to remove all the logs and stuff in time

what does the sts stand for? please explain im going to remove all the logs and stuff in time

STS = Simple Template System

All changes in colors, graphics etc are made in 2html and one css file.

Very easy to install. Then it's very easy to change the look of your site.

Contributions I would suggest you should have a look at or use:

BTS: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1263

STS: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524

OTF: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2226

Button Generator #1: http://www.oscbuttons.web4pro.net/index.php

Button Generator #2: http://oscommerce-buttons.org/

Those are the basics. Start with those and you can make a huge improvement on your site!!!

Good luck.

Spyros

Archived