• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fresh Install, Big Problems

Necrosaro420

Hello. I just installed the oscommerce for the first time. And as soon as I have it installed, I am getting error's all over the place. I am using the newest version that is downloadable from this site 2.2

link to my site here

This is not the site that I am going to have it on, but I put it here to test before I install it on my normal server.

I am getting error's right out of the block.

These below are on the main page

Warning: session_save_path(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 579 is not allowed to access owned by uid 0 in /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 148

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php:148) in /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 97

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php:148) in /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 97

And on my Admin menu, alot of the option's that I click, are giving me error's as well, such as when I click I click "Update" on my store name, I get these error's, with NOTHING else on the page

Warning: session_save_path(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 579 is not allowed to access owned by uid 0 in /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 110

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:110) in /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:110) in /home/necro420/domains/xbox2modz.com/public_html/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 22

I have installed everything per the install instructions, so I have no clue what is wrong? Thanks Alot!

The problem is that your host's security measures are preventing osCommerce from saving session info to the temp folder. Storing sessions to files in the tmp folder is generally not a good idea when installing on a shared server.

The easiest and best solution will be to switch to storing session info in the database. To do this find the following line in both /catalog/includes/configure.php and /catolog/admin/includes/configure.php (if you installed directly to your web root folder, the drop "catalog" from the paths):

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

and change it to:

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

That should take care of it.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

The problem is that your host's security measures are preventing osCommerce from saving session info to the temp folder. Storing sessions to files in the tmp folder is generally not a good idea when installing on a shared server.

The easiest and best solution will be to switch to storing session info in the database. To do this find the following line in both /catalog/includes/configure.php and /catolog/admin/includes/configure.php (if you installed directly to your web root folder, the drop "catalog" from the paths):

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

and change it to:

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql'); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

That should take care of it.

These were already set like you showed in the config files.

Ok, one more thing to check. Open your admin page in your browser and choose the "Configuration" category and click on "Sessions". In the resulting screen delete any entry from the "Session Directory" setting and save the change.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Ok, one more thing to check. Open your admin page in your browser and choose the "Configuration" category and click on "Sessions". In the resulting screen delete any entry from the "Session Directory" setting and save the change.

Looks like that was the problem, thanks alot =) One last thing, how do I setup an admin account? Looks like as of now, anyone can just goto my url and add /admin on the end and get in ???? Thanks!

The best way is if your web hosting control panel has a feature for password protecting a folder. Just password protect the admin folder. If your host doesn't provide that, then there are several contributions for password protecting the admin. The simpler ones help you set up single user .htaccess protection while others set up a more versatile multi user, priveledge level system to control access. But, unless you need the multi user, multi priveledge level functionality, then the web host control panel approach is both simpler and most secure*.

* Password protecting it via the web hosting control panel is most secure becuase it stores the password outside of the web accessible directories.

Thanks for your note about removing the session folder in the Admin section Mike..

I just got the same error (though my sight had been working fine and I had meade no recent chages) think I'd best email my hosting service

Archived