• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How easy is it to change servers?

We're not thrilled with the server we currently have (it was through our phone/internet company, and now we no longer use the phone/internet access part, just the server), so we're looking at less expensive, better packages.

I have searched the forums, but maybe I'm using the wrong words!

Is this something easily done? Are there instructions somewhere??

Thanks,

Define easy! lol

OK, this is what u need to do, and it will almost inevitably lead to some downtime.

Purchase your new hosting package. Whilst its being setup, copy all of your files from the old server down to your pc. As soon as your new server is setup, upload all the files to the new webspace.

Whilst this is happening, you will need to redesignate your domain name so that it resolves to the new server.

Now you need to copy your database from the old server to the new one. There are various ways of doing this, do a google for the way which suits you best.

Now edit your includes/configure.php file and admin/includes/configure.php to show the correct info. As soon as your domain resolves to the new server, it should work fine.

The pitfalls to look out for:

Lost data - anybody creating an account/purchasing after you have copied the old database and before you switch to the new one may be lost. try to minimise the gap as much as you can

Testing - you need to edit configure files with your new servers ip address so you can bugfix before the switch takes place, else your site will be visible but showing mistakes, not necessarily a good idea.

Solution - set a date when you want this to happen, copy everything except database over. On that date put a holding page up on the old site saying you are upgrading. As soon as the domain resolves it will show your new site on new server, and with no data loss, but obviously you will have lost at least a days trade.

**edit**

Or solution 2 - setup database on enw server and connect old site to new database.

** end edit**

We're not thrilled with the server we currently have (it was through our phone/internet company, and now we no longer use the phone/internet access part, just the server), so we're looking at less expensive, better packages.

I have searched the forums, but maybe I'm using the wrong words!

Is this something easily done? Are there instructions somewhere??

Thanks,

You may want to check This Thread

and also be sure to check the versions of both php and MySql ont he new server for compatability

F5

Thanks for the tips - I have checked, and the new server we are planning to use is compatible, so we feel safe in switching to them.

Somebody told me privately to see if they would move it all for me, because if they couldn't, or wouldn't, that it may lead to future troubles....

I have asked about this, and they just don't have the manpower to do that for their clients, however they do offer all we are looking for (and a much better package than we currently have) for half the price we currently pay.....

Once we have the payment plan set up, we'll be following everybody's great advice and moving servers.

Deep breath!

Thanks for the tips - I have checked, and the new server we are planning to use is compatible, so we feel safe in switching to them.

Somebody told me privately to see if they would move it all for me, because if they couldn't, or wouldn't, that it may lead to future troubles....

I have asked about this, and they just don't have the manpower to do that for their clients, however they do offer all we are looking for (and a much better package than we currently have) for half the price we currently pay.....

Once we have the payment plan set up, we'll be following everybody's great advice and moving servers.

Deep breath!

Take care. There are hustlers that haunt this forum and some of them are "here today, gone tomorrow". And they're not really inexpensive because they're only resellers of hosting. My opinion is that you'd be a lot better off finding a well known host and moving it yourself (it's easy, I can move a store in about 15 minutes).

If you watch this forum very much you can tell which hosting companies have problems with osC configurations and needs.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

Thanks for the tip - the company we have decided on has been in the business since 1998, and are also Canadian owned, which was important to us.....

Thanks for the tip - the company we have decided on has been in the business since 1998, and are also Canadian owned, which was important to us.....

Also check on the environment issues provided by the company.

If there are payment gateway issues that need Pear or Curl make sure your new provider takes care of it.

Also make sure on the Mysql version.

For switching as already stated you need to copy the folder and the db plus change the config file in catalog and admin.Also to point your address to new server.

But environment issues might be panicky so be sure on those too.

Regards,

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - so the big day has arrived......I've uploaded all my files to my new server.....my problem is my database!!

The server I was using doesn't have a cPanel, and there is a Database Manager - but it doesn't have a dump option.......

I found some instructions that told me to run a dump from an SSH prompt, which I have found how to do (I downloaded something called Putty, and can log in to my account) - but when I run mysqldump - I get a message that "msqldump is not a recognized command"......

SO, I had done a zipped backup from the admin panel to my computer, and thought I could just create a new database at my new server and then upload the backup I'd done....but I can't get that to work either....

I tried just changing all the info in the config files, but when I go to /mysite/catalog I get this error:

1146 - Table 'thegals_store.configuration' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

So then I tried uploading the Install directory, and running the "Install new online store" - I can get all the way to the panel where I enter all my new server info, and then I get this message:

The error message returned is:

Access denied for user: 'thegals_2Gals@64.**.***.123' (Using password: YES)

(the 64.*** is my IP address)

What am I doing wrong???

First, be sure to block your old site with an index.html file saying you will be down for maintenance and also rename the includes file to something else. That will preven you from possibly losing orders or customers. Then go into your old sites admin section and click on tools->backup. Do a backup of your database use that option. Next, ftp to your old site and download the database you just created. It is in admin->backups. Upload that file using phpmyadmin with your new host (I'm assuming they have CPanel from what you said). Once that is done, change your nameservers to point to the new host. Prodivding the configure file is set up properly, your site will be availalbe within 3 days (thus the importance of blocking the old site).

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok - that I did - I don't have access to the old admin panel anymore - but I had previously done both a backup of the database, and a zipped backup that I downloaded to my hard drive.....

My new server does have cPanel, and I do have phpmyadmin.....the problem is, I have NO idea how to use it......

I have created a new database with my new server - was that right?

Or am I supposed to just upload the saved one?

Some command help would be most useful!

Archived