• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

get downloads from external server?? possible?

ronnie

hi

is it possible to get the downloads not from the downloads directory in /shop/download

but from an external server??

please help me to do this !

thanx in advance

cheers

robert

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
ANd again, do all downloads have to be placed inside the downloads folder or can you download from another domain

please, I hope you can do this. Anyone???? I was about to post this same question and found this thread unanswered. Is it not possible?

• 7 months later...

I have just recently run into this same issue. I just about have the contribution worked out. I'll post once I've got all bases covered. In order for this to be possible however there will be some requirements on the server side that your store runs on.

• 3 months later...

Hum,

This is something that is easily fixed and must be possible I too am looking into same issues as noted earlier on and need my files to be located on another server.

There could be a number of methods that may achieve the same goals.

1) have some sort of email or javascript onEvent alert that will be triggered when the customer attempts to buy the download at checking out stage and then point them to the location after verification.

2) link the osCcommerce request into a CRON setup and FTP the file from storage server to client or just point them to storage server and let them take it after checkout stage

3) Find the calls made when client has paid for downloadable content in the Core PHP structure of osCommerce and edit them appropriately then fix to point to remote server location instead.

All the above are just ideas and dont ask me how this will effect the SSL setup of your server once the client has setpped out of your SSL protected domain realm.

Plus there is probably already a fix for this as this is a predicament that many users of other eCart solutions have themselves came across just hack one of those scripts to see how they did it...

Hope this gave you guys n gall's some inspiration :)

Download from another server - is do-able.

However remote server would require authentication or some sort of *secret information (so only genuine buyers get to download). What exactly is the purpose (of storing somewhere else) .. I would like to get more details before i can suggest anything or work on a script to do precisely what you are asking for...

Cheers

Gaurav

Best Regards,
Gaurav

• 2 months later...

However remote server would require authentication or some sort of *secret information (so only genuine buyers get to download). What exactly is the purpose (of storing somewhere else) .. I would like to get more details before i can suggest anything or work on a script to do precisely what you are asking for...

Cheers

Gaurav

I don't know if this would be of use to anyone but I've just added a contribution that lets you use Amazon's S3 service for storage instead of your normal web server. It uses Amazon S3's built-in authentication mechanism to prevent unauthorised access to your files. The contribution is here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5642 and includes a brief intro on how to set up an S3 account.

Best wishes,

Jess

Cheers

Gaurav

Well, I've looked at this thread because I have an interest in having files downloaded from a storage server dedicated only to movies and podcast files - the movie files are rather large and it is my understanding that it would allow for my shop to function better without enduring a large bandwidth usage - my understanding may be flawed, in that case I am happy to be corrected; but as my understanding is now, as it was explained to me, if 50 people are downloading 250 - 400 mb files at the same time it would be better from a separate server - or even a separate domain on a reseller account, not sure but I'd really like some insight.

Thanks for taking time to write here - I highly respect the posters taht take of their personal time to share their knowledge - thank you very much!

Ron

Downloads work on session ids - take the session id away and they won't work. You're not going to pass a session id from one server to another - at least not without opening yourself up to the session id being shared among many who then download your products.

Vger

Thanks Vger - nice to hear from you again. Do all stores use session IDs in this manner? No way of doing this then?

It's not a critical thing, can just get a reseller accuont and use 3 gb for media, but was thinking about a way to do this.

Again, nice to hear from you - you sure helped me out last year! See you around the zen forums though, right?

All the best for this year too!

Ron

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to use the Amazon S3 contribution. There were a few problems when trying to configure things correctly at first but I thought I had everything working after running a few successful tests. However as I've started adding downloads to my store I am now greeted by the following error message when I click on a download link -

NoSuchKeyThe specified key does not exist.Kicking_and_Screaming.mp3D808AC4224C42F97HkdAJgXmSz0cPp1V7YOMOuPXzbufCHWiddhBCbv7M61wlYthz77Ue57lf6K21AbR

I haven't altered anything since I got it working so I'm completely stumped. I tried getting a new Access Key ID from Amazon but I'm still getting the same error message. Can anyone help?

Archived