• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Repost] Can't update configuration

revcom

Hi there,

I've successfully reinstalled and reinitialised osCommerce after deleting all files and database.

When I use the Admin tool for the first time to customise the store with my details, it just wipes out each default value and replaces it with blanks.

For example, I run the Admin Tool, click on "My Store" and then select "Store Name". The default name shows up. I click the Edit button and type "My Online Store" into the textbox as the name of my store. I click the "Update" button" and the screen refreshes.

However, instead of showing "My Online Store" in the Store Name line, it is blank. The previous default has been erased but nothing has replaced it.

Could this be related to file permissions?

What is the name of the php file that stores these details?

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot....

Robert

File and folder permissions are set for each file or folder - they are not stored anywhere.

If your site is hosted on an Apache Server (Unix/Linux) then FTP to your website and right click on each file or folder and look for the CHMOD command. This will tell you what level of permissionsyou have.

Files, with the exception of the two configure.php files, should have permissions of 644. The two configure.php files can be 644, 444 or 400 (depending on your server).

For folders take a look and see what they are now. If they are less than 755 then try 755, but if they are already 755 then try 777 (but be aware that 777 is full permissions and not advised).

Vger

File and folder permissions are set for each file or folder - they are not stored anywhere.

If your site is hosted on an Apache Server (Unix/Linux) then FTP to your website and right click on each file or folder and look for the CHMOD command. This will tell you what level of permissionsyou have.

Files, with the exception of the two configure.php files, should have permissions of 644. The two configure.php files can be 644, 444 or 400 (depending on your server).

For folders take a look and see what they are now. If they are less than 755 then try 755, but if they are already 755 then try 777 (but be aware that 777 is full permissions and not advised).

Vger

Thanks for that. I actually meant to ask where are the store configuration details stored? (not the permissions).

Have you seen the problem of wiping out configuration values when updating with the Admin Tool before?

Thanks...

Robert

Thanks for that. I actually meant to ask where are the store configuration details stored? (not the permissions).

Have you seen the problem of wiping out configuration values when updating with the Admin Tool before?

Thanks...

Robert

OK, I've discovered that the configuration details are stored in the SQL database. So the problem isn't related to file permissions as I first thought.

Now I can update the stored configuration details OK using my ISP's phpMyAdmin application and they show up when I view my online store.

However, they still can't be updated using the Admin Tool. Any new updated values just clear the ones I entered using phpMyAdmin and don't store the updated values.

Does anyone know what could be causing this???

Thanks...

Robert

• 3 years later...

OK, I've discovered that the configuration details are stored in the SQL database. So the problem isn't related to file permissions as I first thought.

Now I can update the stored configuration details OK using my ISP's phpMyAdmin application and they show up when I view my online store.

However, they still can't be updated using the Admin Tool. Any new updated values just clear the ones I entered using phpMyAdmin and don't store the updated values.

Does anyone know what could be causing this???

Thanks...

Robert

I am having the exact same problem. It's really frustrating. I have asked my hosting provider for details on this, as it is an 'out of the box' one-click installation, so it should work.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how was it resolved.

If I find out, I will post a reply with the answer.

Rich

I have asked my hosting provider for details on this, as it is an 'out of the box' one-click installation, so it should work.

The question is what exactly is getting installed? Is it the core version or some unsupported template like some hosts offer? My suggestion is you try the (4 click) original installation and see how things work.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Archived