• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding Oscommerce to predesigned site

sackling

Hey all,

Im new here and i just installed oscommerce onto my server, but im wondering if its the right choice for me. You see, i already designed the way i want my site to look. now with oscommerce im not sure if theres a way to implement it into my predesigned site. so my quesiton is, is there?

is it possible to for instance just add a button that says buy now within one of my predesigned product pages and would take the user to a checkout basket desgined or edited by me?

basically all i am seeing on the support pages is way to edit the standard oscommerce shopping cart when what i really want is to just put select features of the shopping cart into my sight, since i have all the products organized and what not.

thanks for you help and hopefully i can use oscommerce.

The OSC checkout procedure relies on certain product information, such as pricing, to exist in its database. In order to add products to an OSC shopping cart from an "outside" page, you would still need that product to exist in the database. It's possible to alter the shopping cart to add products based purely on POSTed information, but this would be no small project.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

When you create a product, it will have a specific URL that can be used to access that product. It will be a URL that looks similar to:

www.yourdomain.com/products_info.php?products_id=5

Where the number 5 identifies the product. Every product will have a unique number.

However, if you are going to the effort of creating custom product pages and still have product information in the OSC database, then you can link directly from your custom product page to the shopping cart. There is a certain amount of information you'd have to pass to the cart as part of the link, but it's doable.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

hmm maybe i will keep my design layout and when the user click a product it will link to the product page of osc. are the product pages highyl customisable? id like to keep it looking like how my site currently does

i was just looking through some of the live shops. i found one site that looks nothing like the oscommerce shopping cart and had buy now links.

the link address looked like this: /osc/index.php?cPath=27_40&sort=2a&action=buy_now&products_id=74

is there somethign i can do along those lines?

If you designed that site yourself, then I think you probably have the skills to modify OSC layout to match. I'm sure you'll run into annoyances and difficulties, but there's no reason you can't get it looking the way you want. Asking how difficult it would be is like asking if I think your car would make it on a cross-country trip. No one will really know until you try it!

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

i was just looking through some of the live shops. i found one site that looks nothing like the oscommerce shopping cart and had buy now links.

the link address looked like this: /osc/index.php?cPath=27_40&sort=2a&action=buy_now&products_id=74

is there somethign i can do along those lines?

Yes, this is exactly what you would do. The only parts of this query that would change are the cPath variable and the products_id variable. Both of these are easy to find once you have created products in your OSC database.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

Archived