• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order Total Error

ugh

I have a product for $5.00. CA tax is $.36. The shipping cost is $10.34. Should add to $15.70 but instead it comes out to $16.45 - a difference of $.75. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have searched threads on total errors but found mostly info on incorrec tax issues. Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

Make sure that you have set items in their correct order for calculation, in your osC admin panel under Modules --> Order Total

e.g. Sub-Total, Shipping, Tax, Total

Vger

That worked but it calculated tax on shipping too....is that supposed to be that way? My understanding is that tax is only calculated on the product. :blush:

That worked but it calculated tax on shipping too....is that supposed to be that way? My understanding is that tax is only calculated on the product. :blush:

Check the admin page for each of your shipping modules. Most have an option for setting a tax class for shipping. If it isn't already, set it to none. If they are all set that way, then try setting the orders total sort order to subtotal, tax, shipping, total.

As for whether or not shipping should be taxed in your location, if you are uncertain, you may want to consult a local accountant. Rules on this vary by tax jurisdiction. Logically you would think you could get correct advice from your County Clerks office, but it seams a lot of people have been getting bad advice from state and local governments. Oddly enough the incorrect advice always seems to err on the side of collecting too much tax. I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Check the admin page for each of your shipping modules. Most have an option for setting a tax class for shipping. If it isn't already, set it to none. If they are all set that way, then try setting the orders total sort order to subtotal, tax, shipping, total.

Thanks GraphicGuy...that's what it was - I had the class selected. You rock!! :lol:

Archived