• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it me, or my Hosting Company? New Install attempt failing.

Stormwarden

I am trying to help a friend get oscommerce up and running on their web site. I've installed it many times on local servers, or apache servers I've had physical access to - but this is the first time I've tried on one of the shared web hosts (ie, read 'cheap montly fee').

In any case, I went to their sites Admin section, activated MySQL and SSL. The site autocreated a database (lets call it Bill002) - apparantly, one user/one database.

The phpmyadmin provided by the hosting company lists the database (bill002), lists one users (alsobill002), but specifically states No Privilidges. I shook my head, and continued...

Loaded up the core files onto a subdirectory of their website (a sub of htdocs), ran the Install - at that point, oscommerce says it can find the database bill002 OK, but responds with 'access denied, you have no permissions' when trying to create the tables.

Sounds to me as if I need something more than 'No Privlidges' access to the host created database 'bill002' - or is this a standard level of permission given on shared cheap servers which is acceptable for oscommerce (and I'm doing something wrong?)

Have been trying to get them on the phone (the hosting co) to no effect so far - but wanted to get input on the type of permissions/structure most shared hostings co's provide to users (ie, one database, named by the ISP (not the user)) - before I blame it on them.

Any feedback appreciated!

You mean it shows No Privileges under Create Database?

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

You mean it shows No Privileges under Create Database?

Sort of Correct - when I use the ISP provided link to their phpmyadmin site (they provide to their clients), it shows the database <b>that was created when I asked them to activate MySQL </b>- and shows the user - and right under the user name, it shows No Privileges.

That seems odd to me - seems like I should have SOME privileges provided , unless this is normal (highly restricted privileges on a shared server)?

ie - my understanding is OsCommerce will just go nowhere, unless I'm given more rights?

It may just mean that you have no Privileges to create or delete databases via phpMyAdmin but only through the Control Panel.

I can't see why they'd give you a database you can't use.

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

The phpmyadmin provided by the hosting company lists the database (bill002), lists one users (alsobill002), but specifically states No Privilidges. I shook my head, and continued...

<snip>

Sounds to me as if I need something more than 'No Privlidges' access to the host created database 'bill002' - or is this a standard level of permission given on shared cheap servers which is acceptable for oscommerce (and I'm doing something wrong?)

Once the database is created, you need to enter the chosen username and password in the users section, then add the user to the database, selecting "all" in the privileges options. You should then see your man listed as bill002_username (all privileges)

Archived