• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Completely New to Starting a Store

greenelephantpainting

Hi,

I'm starting a store. I've learned how to stock it and before I go live I have a few questions (probably will have more questions after the few I have are answered). I do have been selling though my eBay store for two years so I only have experience working with a store where almost everything is already set up or eBay makes sure it is set up to my preferences. Therefore, these are some questions I have:

1. I plan on only selling in U.S. until I've been up and running awhile. How do I make sure my store is set up so only customers having items shipped to a United States address can purchase from it?

2. I only have to charge sales tax to people having items shipped to my home state of Colorado. How do I make sure my store only charges sales tax to those people?

3. I want to charge a flat rate shipping and be able to change that amount item to item. How would I do that? Or, is there a better way of charging the shipping and handling costs?

4. Some of my pictures really look squished. What can I do about that?

5. Last, but not least, and probably not even really the last one anyway, ~~smile~~ Where do I set up my preferences for the shopping cart? I have a Paypal account I use with my eBay store and they (Paypal) told me all I have to do is direct payment to my email address registered with Paypal Is this true? Or, is there a lot more involved when setting up the shopping cart?

Thank you for your patience with my ignorance in this area and for any help you can give me.

All these questions are probably answered somewhere in this vast community of information, but I have a full time job, an eBay store with over 800 items to run and am now stocking this new store so I run out of time to read through all the great wealth of information in osCommerce. So, I was hoping to find my answers quicker this way.

April

All this can be set in the stores Admin section. See detailed answers below:

Hi,

I'm starting a store. I've learned how to stock it and before I go live I have a few questions (probably will have more questions after the few I have are answered). I do have been selling though my eBay store for two years so I only have experience working with a store where almost everything is already set up or eBay makes sure it is set up to my preferences. Therefore, these are some questions I have:

1. I plan on only selling in U.S. until I've been up and running awhile. How do I make sure my store is set up so only customers having items shipped to a United States address can purchase from it?

You can specify what countries you sell to in the Locations-Taxes/countries

2. I only have to charge sales tax to people having items shipped to my home state of Colorado. How do I make sure my store only charges sales tax to those people?

Same place as above. Tax Zones

3. I want to charge a flat rate shipping and be able to change that amount item to item. How would I do that? Or, is there a better way of charging the shipping and handling costs?

Flat rate shipping can be set up in Modules/Shipping; however to charge per item would require code modification. There may be a contribution already made.

You can change the max. height and width of the images, and whether you want to have the size auto calc. in configuration/images

5. Last, but not least, and probably not even really the last one anyway, ~~smile~~ Where do I set up my preferences for the shopping cart? I have a Paypal account I use with my eBay store and they (Paypal) told me all I have to do is direct payment to my email address registered with Paypal Is this true? Or, is there a lot more involved when setting up the shopping cart?

You can set this up in modules/payment

Thank you for your patience with my ignorance in this area and for any help you can give me.

All these questions are probably answered somewhere in this vast community of information, but I have a full time job, an eBay store with over 800 items to run and am now stocking this new store so I run out of time to read through all the great wealth of information in osCommerce. So, I was hoping to find my answers quicker this way.

April

Good luck with the store.

Go into your Admin panel, select Locations/Taxes, and you should see a list of countries. Delete any countries you DO NOT wish to ship to. These will then not show in the available options when customers enter their delivery details. It may be an idea to also state this policy on the site to save people from outside the US wasting lots of time!

Again, in admin->Locations/Taxes, select Tax Zones. You should by defail;t have a folder called Florida. go into this and change the state to Colorado. Now go to Tax Rates, and you will see by default it already has Florida Tax at 7% - amend it as required. Now, when you add products, select the correct tax class and tax will only be applied to customers with an address in Colorado.

Not too sure I understand your question. If, as I think, you wish to charge a shipping amount for each item, go to admin->modules->Shipping and select the "Per Item" option. Install this and configure it as required. If that isn't what you meant, post back!

Quite a few solutions to this. The easiest is to go admin->configuration->images. Select image height, and delete the figure showing in there. This now means there is not a defined height for your images, so they will be resized by width alone, automatically scaling the height to match.

admin->modules->payment - select and install PayPal, and set it up with your paypal details. Thats it - your store will be set up to allow PayPal payments, and all payments will come throught o your account for purchases made from your site.

Obviously, there are lots more things you can do to customise and improve on the above, but if quick fixes are what you are after, this should be enough to get you going! Good luck, and welcome to osc. :)

Archived