• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I create 200+ categories?

I am setting up a rather large online store selling battery products.

There are several categories needed for manufacturers, etc.

Well over 200 categories need to be created - can this be done in PHP MyAdmin?

Really dont want to do this all manually! (:

1st and foremost -BACKUP YOUR DATA!

If you know what tables you would need to modify, you can simply export those tables to your hd, then open them up in Excel, add the records by copying all contents of each column. When using Excel selecting the whole column will have you copying "blank" space and that creates bogus records to your database.

If you're not sure of the tables that will be modified when you add something...

1st document or screen-shot your tables so you know how many records are in each table. Then create categories, and some products with options, and save them.

Refresh your database and take note of the tables that have changes in their record count. Those are the tables you'll need to export and work on.

Make sure to take note of the tables that have 'AUTO_NUMBER' fields. You'll either have to manually add them, depending on how many categories there are, or you can create the autonumbers by adding the records in Access and it will autonumber for you.... starting after the last number in your other database.

Hope that helps!

Kevin

"What I didn't know yesterday, I know today & will remember tomorrow"

(By Kwalker)

What do you see when you open up the tep_database-pr2.2-CVS.pdf file that came with your osCommerce download?

EasyPopulate may be the best choice if it'll create the categories without the import errors it displays when trying to populate your product list.

Kevin

"What I didn't know yesterday, I know today & will remember tomorrow"

(By Kwalker)

What do you see when you open up the tep_database-pr2.2-CVS.pdf file that came with your osCommerce download?

Archived