• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to make left links stretch to bottom?

Chris Perkins

This my work in progress:

http://www.predecimal.com/shop/

I still have a long way to go, but it's getting there!

My question is: What's the easiest way to get the left hand blue pane (containing the Useful Links, Quick find etc) to stretch all the way down the page, in plain blue to about where the date appears?

I'm sure there must people a simple way, but thought I'd ask here before tinkering, and concentrate on adding products instead!

Create a test page for testing purposes. Each of the catalog root files has something like this for the left navigation:

<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<!-- left_navigation //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>
<!-- left_navigation_eof //-->

Now you could assign a css class to the <td> element and that css class will include a blue background. The left table cell extends all the way to the bottom always but now it simply uses the default background. Once you've done that you could add some white separators at the end of each box to give the impression of the separation between the boxes.

Sounds great!

I've had a little play, but alas I'm not technically competent enough. :(

What exactly do I need to add to my .css file to get it to work? I'm not quite sure what the <td> element is. The colour by the way, is 97a7f2.

Thanks very much for such a quick reply.

Hi Chris -

In this line from the above code

<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>"

change it to something like

<td class="leftCol" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>"

Then in stylesheet.css add this code:

TD.leftCol {
 background: #97a7f2;
}

That should do it for you. You need to change the above line for each file in your root that will display a page.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack,

It took me long enough, but as you've now noticed I am making progress at last!

Thanks for the solution. I was going along the right line with the .css file, but it would have taken me some time to work out exactly what to put in the files! Fortunately it doesn't affect every page, only those with lots of text.

You should go ahead and add it to every page though. At some point the amount of text might change on another page and it will make the site look funny for the column to be filled on one page and not another.

BTW, the images you have now are a gigantic improvement over before. They look great.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived