• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Admin access

tyrant

I received a private message from a member who only registered with our website in the last 20 hours.

wanted to make you aware of the following hack hole on the shop site

http://www.rainbow-inspirations.co.uk/admin......go to ANY site that uses OS commerce. Type in the domain name followed by '/admin' and you will get the same access panel.

It is a known hole and you should really change the directory to another name or an opportunist hacker will take your site down.

Anyway they have kindafreaked me. I change my passwords regulary and it is a known fact that /admin takes you to access panel. Why did they try this??

anyway is there a way to change the admin directory so that it is a different url to gain access to it..or do i loose safety features by redirecting it?

Freaky person is scaring me :huh:

This person is doing you a favor. You should never name your admin folder "admin" since it is widely known that the oscommerce creates a folder called admin. It leaves the ability for those who want to do you harm. Call it some odd name or combination of letters and numbers or a pet's name.

On the same topic, if you are using phpmyadmin, I wouldn't call that folder phpmyadmin either. The harder you make it, the less likely your are to be hacked.

Marg

This person is doing you a favor. You should never name your admin folder "admin" since it is widely known that the oscommerce creates a folder called admin. It leaves the ability for those who want to do you harm. Call it some odd name or combination of letters and numbers or a pet's name.

On the same topic, if you are using phpmyadmin, I wouldn't call that folder phpmyadmin either. The harder you make it, the less likely your are to be hacked.

Marg

Agree with that - security by obscurity :thumbsup:

to change admin, change the folder name in your filemanger then edit your admin/includes/configure.php file you will find two lines with reference to admin change admin to whatever you called your folder

I did this yesterday .... go to your hosting cPanel and rename the file "admin" to a new name. For example sakes: hotdog

Then go to admin/includes/configure.php file, open it to edit it, and change the two lines that reference /admin/ and change it to /hotdog/

Since only you (and however else you give access to the administration of the site) need to be there, it doesn't matter what the new name for the admin is - so you don't need it to be nice looking for the public.

Archived