• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Admin problem - easy access?!?

icwuke

Hello,

For some reason you can access the admin area of my site from any location, I can't seem to find where I can add an admin user name and password :( any help?

Also, when trying to pay with something using paypal, there is just the same error coming up.

Anyone help? :-" :thumbsup:

Hello,

For some reason you can access the admin area of my site from any location, I can't seem to find where I can add an admin user name and password :( any help?

Also, when trying to pay with something using paypal, there is just the same error coming up.

Anyone help? :-" :thumbsup:

Well if you are logged in, you'd be able to access it like that. Close out your browser, clear out cache and cookies and see if you still have that problem.

What error is coming up on paypal? Need more info :)

Brandi

Secure your admin. It is open by default.

1) change the directory name and make the changes the same in your newadminname/includes/configure.php file (2 lines).

2) password protect the directory at your host's control panel.

3) Consider adding a Contribution (linked from Community above) for an admin login.

I think thats sort of worked...

now a couple more retarded problems, i want to edit the default text on the main page, I thought it would be in index.php but can't find it anywhere :blush: and also change the title in the title bar at the top of the page.

ideas?

Secure your admin. It is open by default.

1) change the directory name and make the changes the same in your newadminname/includes/configure.php file (2 lines).

2) password protect the directory at your host's control panel.

3) Consider adding a Contribution (linked from Community above) for an admin login.

Well, I did step 1 and now my site doesn't exist. What now? I get to the cart admin page (not prompted for login still) and when I click on "configuration" or "catalog" or anything, I get a "page not found page".

Now what?

Well, I did step 1 and now my site doesn't exist. What now? I get to the cart admin page (not prompted for login still) and when I click on "configuration" or "catalog" or anything, I get a "page not found page".

Now what?

did you change the configure file to match?

The first step isn't intended to secure your directory; just make it harder to find. The next two will help secure it.

Yes, changing the configure file was part of step one up there.

When I'm in the carts admin - if you hover your mouse over "catalog" (under configuration), it still wants to go to: www.mysite.com/catalog/admin, but I had changed "catalog" to "marketplace" edit: in fact, if you hover your mouse over any of the sections: configuration, catalog, tools, modules, etc - it still wants to go to www.mysite.com/catalog/....

I am able to get to my store by going to: www.mysite.com/marketplace

In the configure file - do I change EVERY instance of "CATALOG" to "MARKETPLACE" ????? If so, that is more than two lines!!!!!

I did this change first:

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/marketplace/');

But do I actually do this???? :

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_MARKETPLACE', '/marketplace/');

OK, maybe this is it:

There are two configure.php files. One is in your marketplace/includes folder and the other in your newadminname/includes folder where newadminname is your secret new name to hide your admin folder.

In each of those configure.php files, you'll have settings that refer to the admin area and/or the catalog area. If you've changed both folders, you'll need to change the settings that refer to both. I only mentioned changing your admin folder's name in the instructions. If that's all you do then there are just two lines to change in the newadminname/includes/configure.php file. If you change the stores main folder, you'll have more lines to edit to match; essentially wherever it mentions catalog (not where it says CATALOG in upper case).

OK, maybe this is it:

There are two configure.php files. One is in your marketplace/includes folder and the other in your newadminname/includes folder where newadminname is your secret new name to hide your admin folder.

Ok, now you have me confused. I just changed it from the original www.mysite.com/catalog TO www.mysite.com/marketplace. What OTHER "newadminname" are you referrring to?

In each of those configure.php files, you'll have settings that refer to the admin area and/or the catalog area. If you've changed both folders, you'll need to change the settings that refer to both. I only mentioned changing your admin folder's name in the instructions. If that's all you do then there are just two lines to change in the newadminname/includes/configure.php file. If you change the stores main folder, you'll have more lines to edit to match; essentially wherever it mentions catalog (not where it says CATALOG in upper case).

Ok, I changed the www.mysite.com/marketplace/includes/configure.php file in THREE places:

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/marketplace/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/marketplace/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/databasename/public_html/marketplace/');

Those were the 3 places "catalog" was showing.

btw - I do thank you for helping - all this is new to me and I'm learning all this on the fly - I just need things listed step by step sometimes *grins*

You've missed the point here. The instructions were to change the name of you admin folder to make it hard to find. You've changed the name of your catalog folder. The admin folder is inside it. That's the one I was talking about. Please read the postings again. I'll be back in ten minutes.

Ah carumba!

Ok....so how do people change the url from

www.website.com/catalog

to www.website.com/store (or whatever) and still make everything work?

Ok, I got all that straightned out. I thought when "admin" was mentioned, it was just meaning the admin panel or soemthing, not admin folder. My misunderstanding. So, I'm back on track with that.

But when I click on "configuration" in www.mysite.com/catalog/admin, I still get this error which happened out of the blue last night, even though I made NO changes to anything....

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This only happens in "configuration", not "catalog", "tools", "modules",etc

If something changed during a time in which you made no changes, you should contact your host. Sometimes, they'll load a backup of your files when they have a problem. Other times, they'll upgrade the server's software. Both can cause trouble. That's why you should keep your own backups on a regular basis and ask them to inform you before they intend to upgrade so you can ask here if it will break your store. I'm not saying they did any of this; it's just a possible reason.

Hmmm, I'll have to ask. My host is usually good as stating they are doing stuff.

I did look at the server log and it's saying that the configuration.php does not exist when it clearly does when I go in and look.

Dan, thanks for your help thus far, you've been a great help.

Now, if only I can get .htaccess to work so I can actually LOGIN to my Admin for the first time since installation (have yet to be prompted), that would be the last of my troubles *grins*

EDIT - I looked again at the server error log just to see if something would pop out. It was saying that the configuration.php file was writable by others. So, I changed that permission.

BINGO! The file is now active again.

WHEW! :blink: B) :blush:

I'm too young for heart attacks. hehe

Archived