• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New user: Having issues with writing permissions

momentum-shirts

Hi everyone:

Brand new to using OSCommerce, and I have limited HTML/FTP knowledge. I've got my catalog setup the way I want it, but the problem is, I don't have writing permission to most things. So, I cannot change the text on the front page of my website. The instructions tell me how to do so, but I cannot define languages or anything like that due to this issue with writing permissions. I feel like I'm running around in circles.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, and prefer not to use an FTP. If I could just get this issue fixed, I'd be ready to go.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with this issue!

-Marc

Hi everyone:

Brand new to using OSCommerce, and I have limited HTML/FTP knowledge. I've got my catalog setup the way I want it, but the problem is, I don't have writing permission to most things. So, I cannot change the text on the front page of my website. The instructions tell me how to do so, but I cannot define languages or anything like that due to this issue with writing permissions. I feel like I'm running around in circles.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, and prefer not to use an FTP. If I could just get this issue fixed, I'd be ready to go.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with this issue!

-Marc

You can set permissions using Chmod in your webhosting cpanel ..

Instructions below taken from a random site found by www.google.com with the search string "set file permissions without ftp". Sorry I was way to lazy to type it out myself.

-- Mindy

In the cPanel File Manager, you can see all the permissions in numeric format for all your files and folders. For folders, it's simply the only thing all the way to the right on the same line as the folder name. For files, you will see both the file size and the file permissions, in that order, to the right of the file name on the same line.

To chmod a file:

Click on the file's name.

Click "change permissions" in the top right box on the page.

In the top right box, you will get a bunch of checkboxes grouped by the type of permission as rows and who gets that permission as columns. Check the boxes for the type of permissions you want each section to have. The sections are labeled "user" (this is you, the owner), "group", and "world".

Click the "Submit" button.

The file will now have the permissions you filled in.

You can set permissions using Chmod in your webhosting cpanel ..

Instructions below taken from a random site found by www.google.com with the search string "set file permissions without ftp". Sorry I was way to lazy to type it out myself.

-- Mindy

Much thanks, Mindy--I'll give it a shot!

-marc

Archived