• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is a Database

UserTech

What is a database? is it a file were we upload our products and images?

How do i make one?

How do i make the connection between the database and my oscommerce page?

help me please cause i need to install the oscommerce and i believe this is really important...

:(

I, too, need some help in regards to the database.

I am FTPing the catalog right now (is it supposed to take a LONG time????)

I am in "myPHPAdmin" in my site's cpanel. But where it says to create a new database, it says No Privileges. I know I am set up for PHP and MySQL for my hosting package.

Am I getting that because my FTP isn't done yet or one doesn't have a thing to do with another?

For us newbies in installing this form of program - the PDF file sure isn't detailed enough.

I am in "myPHPAdmin" in my site's cpanel. But where it says to create a new database, it says No Privileges. I know I am set up for PHP and MySQL for my hosting package.

Am I getting that because my FTP isn't done yet or one doesn't have a thing to do with another?

Check your server's main C-Panel, there may be a link/icon there for Databases. Click that and create the database there that way. Be sure to set the User name and password. After doing that, head back to phpMyAdmin and see what the privileges say. You may need to contact your server company's Tech Help to allow the necessary access, as I had to do. I just asked for full privileges since I have several databases onsite. The creation of your database has no relation to whether or not you have all the files uploaded. Both are independent of each other until you hit that "Install" button.

I am FTPing the catalog right now (is it supposed to take a LONG time????)
Upload time will vary depending upon internet connection speed. If you're on dial-up, go get some coffee and a snack, take a nap, etc. while it does it's thing. It's all in your provider and how you get on the net.

For us newbies in installing this form of program - the PDF file sure isn't detailed enough.
The documentation can't take into account every little variance like internet connection, the multitude of database configurations, your server company's setup, etc. If it did, it'd take up gigabytes of space, even as a PDF file. BUT once you do get rolling, keep that pdf handy, it pretty much covers everything you will come across. If not, that handy dandy Search button for the forum works really well. I know, I've used it to solve 90% or more of the issues I've come across.

Archived