• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie needs urgent help!!!

janine

Hi, I have had oscommorce installed by my host - now I need to learn how to set it all up and add my items etc. I do not even know where to begin. I have added an item in one of 2 categories I put in. This item shows as a new product but does not have the price carried over to the shopping cart or anything. Also I do not know how to change the front page from saying oscommerce to my own shop name. I have VERY limited computer skills so please be gentle with me guys!! I have found a lot of info in the forums but still don't understand what to do eg. to change the text do i add the includes/languages/english.php to the end of my www.thisismyshop.com address in the address bar?? or what??

Is there a place to find step by step instructions? and how do I password protect?

thanks in advance - I REALLY need some expert advice!!

Janine

Still have that pdf titled "documentation" on your computer? Open that up and head to page 12.

That's the beginning of the Administration / Shop Configuration section.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but it's all there, line per line.

[sorry cindy, I am just a home based mum who wants to open an online shop, and I really know bugger all about computers. when I go to the documentation section it comes down as a winzip not pdf, so I don't have a page 12 or an admin shop configuration section

my main problem is when I do find info on what to do eg catalog/includes/header.php I dont know HOW to do it, do I do it in the address bar?? I just have no idea

PLEASE HELP!!

Janine

finding a directory ........that is my issue!!!

how do I find a directory???

I'm sorry to say but you will have your work cut out judging by your comments in your postings in setting all this up. I'll go into very basic detail on how to proceed and hopefully get you on the road. If you are serious about continuing with the shop you will have to know all the basics.

1) I assume you have got the winzip file on your computer and you know where you have saved it to. This is what's known as a compressed file and needs to be "unzipped". This can be done by using a program called Winzip. If it's not already installed on your computer you need to download a copy and install it. Use a search engine eg Google, type in Winzip and go to the website and download and install the program. When you open the program you will need to click on open and find the winzip file on your computer. When you click on the file it will show a list of files in the window, you then need to click on extract. This will build the document for you which you can then print off.

2) Now that you have all your files installed on your hosts website you need to FTP (transfer) them to your own computer. It will then be easier to edit the files on your own PC and then FTP (transfer) them back to your hosts computer overwriting the originals. When the files are on your own computer you can use notepad to edit them. (I'm expecting you to say "I haven't a clue about FTP programs here").

Try step 1 and see if you can get a hard copy of the documentation before I explain step 2. I will track this topic to await your replies.

Please don't post your problem in someone else's thread. It's just not good forum behaviour.

Vger

I am having a problem where if my customers put in over a certain amount of items in their shopping cart and try to check out they can not get past the delivery information to the payment information screen. I did a test and when I put one item through it worked fine, but then when I put a few items in I got the same problem. This is causing a lot of people to not like my store and not order anything. Could you or someone else PLEASE help me. I am not familiar with this OSCommerce site and can't find the tech support number to speak with someone. I spoke with PayPal but they said that this is not their problem.

Thanks,

Angela

Archived