• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Windows installation and file permissions..

Just installed osCommerce on win XP machine to try the product out. I cannot figure out how to set the correct file permissions in a windows environment. I would like to eventually migrate this to a windows server so it will be useful knowledge to know if it is even possible.

Just installed osCommerce on win XP machine to try the product out. I cannot figure out how to set the correct file permissions in a windows environment. I would like to eventually migrate this to a windows server so it will be useful knowledge to know if it is even possible.

Hi P,

From a previous post:

FYI You can't change permissions using Dreamweaver,

There are a couple of ways to go about it:

1) The simplest (if this is just for local testing on your PC, not the public server!) open the file properties;

open 'MyComputer', Browse to the file and right click on it to bring up the menu, click 'Properties' at the bottom, in the window that opens, look to the bottom for 'Attributes', click 'Read Only', click the Apply button then close the window. You should no longer see the warning

2) If you are needing to change the permissions for the file while its on the hosting server then you can either use a 3rd party FTP program (FileZilla, CuteFTP, WS_FTP etc) or your ISP's (Website Host's) Control Panel File Manager or FTP application (if available)

3) Alternatively you my Install a PHP File manager application such as phpXplorer on you website or local testing server (needs to be in Root directory for access to your shop files).

Hope that helps, have fun

Cybersilly

Archived