• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upload the catalog directory to your server using PTP ???

robert23

I'm totally new at this and want to give it a try. "Upload the catalog directory to your server using FTP" were the first instructions I read in the Adobe document after I downloaded osCommerce. Yahoo Small Business says they are a PHP3 and PHP4 enabled web server so it looks like this should work. Their Help section says I need to configure my FTP client. Who's that, OsCommerce, Apache web server, MySQL database server or is it someone else? What's the catalog directory I need to upload? Is that the catalog folder that's in the file oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113 that I just downloaded? I'm hoping someone can help me get started with this, thanks in advance.

When they say "configure your FTP client" they mean that you have to set up an FTP connection to your website using an FTP programme, using the fTP details they will have supplied you with.

If you wish your osCommerce website to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then you upload the contents of the 'catalog' folder but not the folder itself, to the root of your website.

If you wish your osCommerce website to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then you upload the catalog folder itself and all of its contents to the root of your website.

Please note that Yahoo does not allow the use of .htaccess files.

Vger

I ended up installing SmartFTP because it was free and Yahoo said it would work with thier system. Someone wrote about going to Run (I'm using Win XP) then entering run.exe so I tried that first and a black screened DOS window opened up with the title c:\WINDOWS\system32\ftp.exe and the prompt ftp> I wasn't sure what tp do with that so I gave up on it and downloaded SmartFTP. I managed to get that going after calling Yahoo again and learning that I needed to go to Yahoo Small Business Create & Update then find FTP Account Info and enter my host information in the yourserver.com box , under Login I needed to put the user ID and under Password my Yahoo password. (I was unsure about enting my Yahoo password here for security reasons but Yahoo said it was ok so that's what I did.) I clicked Connect and my site info appeared. Then I clicked Upload under Commands and was given 3 choices, Direct, Session Queue and Global Queue. Not knowing what any of these meant I chose Direct and a Select Files box appeared. I clicked on it and nothing happened so I called Yahoo again and the lady I talked to had me go to the Yahoo File Manager and make a folder called Catalog. Now I go to SmartFTP, the file Catalog appears with my site info but when I select it, it won't let me upload the osCommerce Catalog folder, it wants the files one by one and there's a lot of them plus there's 6 other folders with files in them, probably hundreds of files and am I supposed to upload them one by one? I'd rather just upload the whole Catalog folder at once and forget about the /catalog idea. Right now this whole thing's a nightmare and I'm nowhere near the point where point where I can deal with the Apache, MySQL and the PHP stuff. I don't understand this at all yet. Is this FTP thing the first thing I need to resolve? How can I just upload the whole Catalog folder? Should I try another FTP program? I've spent a whole day messing with this and wonder if the results will really be worth it. Maybe I should just go back to entering the PayPal buttons one by one on my website and forget about the osCommerce shopping cart thing. Hopefully someone's got some ideas.

One more thing, do I really have to use FTP program to put the Catalog folder in my website? I'm using Yahoo Sitebuilder. Can't I just go to My Computer>C:>Programs Files> Yahoo SiteBuilder and just drag the osCommerce Catalog folder to somewhere in there and then publish the changes?

An update here so no-one wastes time with the above problem. SmartFTP was no good for me, wouldn't allow me to upload a folder, it seemed it was only good for uploading files. I tried FileZilla_2_2_17_setup and was successful in uploading the entire osCommerce Catalog folder to my website. It ended up in the Catalog folder that Yahoo helped me create in my website files. I don't know yet if this means my osCommerce website will be available at http://www.yourdomain.com or http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog but I suppose either one should work. Now to tackle the problems of Apache, MySQL and PHP. I'm blundering onward, not one to give up easily.

I've downloaded mysql-essential-5.0.16-win32, apache_1.3.33-win32-x86-src and php-5.1.1-Win32 following the instructions I found at http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181991&hl= That post referred to PHP 5.0.5 zip but when I went to the PHP site it wasn't there so I think php-5.1.1-Win32 is an updated version and I hope it will work. The osCommerce Adobe instructions only refer to PHP3 and PHP4.

Archived