• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

www.dirtcheapwholesale.com

Hopkinj4

I recently too back over this osc store. I was origally suppose to be paid on a comission based on what the store made... well, that dosn't work too well when very few products are added to the catalog over a year >_< . So, for the past several weeks I have been updating the store getting it ready for business. Please let me know what you think about my site. No criticism is too harsh. Thanks.

Here is the link... www.dirtcheapwholesale.com

Are you going to get commission on the amazon, ebay, and adsense ad links on the page too? I just wondered, since thats where all your customers are going to go.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

Are you going to get commission on the amazon, ebay, and adsense ad links on the page too? I just wondered, since thats where all your customers are going to go.

I removed the amazon and adsense ad's. I had them on the site while the other person was managing it and the site wasn't doing anything. But, now the ads are gone. What do ya'll think about the professionality of the website? What would keep you from buying on it? Thanks for the response.

In that case, here are my recomendations:

1. You did a good job of reworking the stylesheet and making your site look less stock. Red, white, and blue is a good color scheme.

2. The scrolling think sucks. I hate stuff that moves on web pages- I know thats personal preference, but how many big ecommerce sites do you see with moving crap on their pages? Just because you can do something does not exactly mean you should, if you know what I mean.

3. Nobody is ever going to read that block of text on your index page- they want to see products. Some featured products up there would work better than the text block, and that text is not going to do much for SEO anyway as there are 3 bazillion sites out there with "great deals" and "wholesale" as their keywords.

4. You have no phone number or address on your contact us page.

5. Your shipping and conditions of use are good, although using a qualifier on if they may or may not be charged a restocking fee is not that great of an idea. Either charge one or don't, don't just say "at our discression".

6. Your logo ain't that great. Professional logo design costs anywhere from $100-$300 and it 100% worth it. Nothing speaks more to your customers about your professionalism in the first 10 seconds of landing at your site than a well designed logo.

7. I don't see a point in a links directory on an ecommerce site- the object is to get customers there, not give them easy ways to leave.

8. Your additional product images do not work. Broken images for all of them.

9. You don't have SSL installed. There is no way I would buy from a store that has no SSL.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

7. I don't see a point in a links directory on an ecommerce site- the object is to get customers there, not give them easy ways to leave.

I see your point, But is it not a good way to increase page rank and SEO? When I go to a ecommerce site I really don't look for the links page. I'm looking a for a specific product. I don't I've ever looked for a links page when I'm trying to buy something. So I don't see any harm in having it there.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

In that case, here are my recomendations:

1. You did a good job of reworking the stylesheet and making your site look less stock. Red, white, and blue is a good color scheme.

2. The scrolling think sucks. I hate stuff that moves on web pages- I know thats personal preference, but how many big ecommerce sites do you see with moving crap on their pages? Just because you can do something does not exactly mean you should, if you know what I mean.

3. Nobody is ever going to read that block of text on your index page- they want to see products. Some featured products up there would work better than the text block, and that text is not going to do much for SEO anyway as there are 3 bazillion sites out there with "great deals" and "wholesale" as their keywords.

4. You have no phone number or address on your contact us page.

5. Your shipping and conditions of use are good, although using a qualifier on if they may or may not be charged a restocking fee is not that great of an idea. Either charge one or don't, don't just say "at our discression".

6. Your logo ain't that great. Professional logo design costs anywhere from $100-$300 and it 100% worth it. Nothing speaks more to your customers about your professionalism in the first 10 seconds of landing at your site than a well designed logo.

8. Your additional product images do not work. Broken images for all of them.

9. You don't have SSL installed. There is no way I would buy from a store that has no SSL.

Okay, I have implimented most of the items that you suggested.

1. Thanks for the compliment. I am actually thinking about buying a template from monstertemplates.com to make the store look better.

2. I kinda like the "scrolly" thing. I might revise that statement later, but for now it's going to stay.

3. I got rid of the text and I will be putting a Featured Products or Specials contribution in its place.

4. I have a phone number and an address on the contact us page. I origally didnt think it was necessary because it was a contact us by email page.... but I guess it can't hurt.

5. The shipping conditions are fixed. I added alot more detail to the page as well.

6. Well, I thought it was decent, definitally not better than that. But, I will be looking at getting a new logo made when I get the new template for the store.

7. Hrm... SEO is what it is for... I removed the link off the front page until I decide if I want to remove it all together or put it back. I'll have to research the SEO merits more before I decide.

8. Have not had time to fix the additional product images... that will be tomorrow.

9. I am getting an ssl installed as we speak (er... read/type)... turbo ssl from godaddy, but a ssl none the less. Thanks for pushing me to do it... I've been putting it off for a while.

So, all-in-all I just have to:

1) buy and install the template ( link... template, what do you think?)

2) make or buy new logo

3) fix additional images

4) install featured products or specials frontpage contribution (I'll put featured products above the "new products for november" thing)

The site looks nice, I actually might buy something - been looking for small monitors for the car/kids. With that being the point of view, the biggest issue I have is the missing images on the product pages. It looks like not all products have multiple images, but this one does. I will bookmark and check back. I have read the other posts, and most are valid, but when I am shopping at a sight like yours, I am not impressed (or unimpressed) by the logo. I am looking for discounts, and if you have good prices, then I stay, if not I leave. With that in mind, do you have a loss leader? Something or things that you sell at crazy low prices that can be on the main page. As a shopper and I see something that is a perceived terrific deal, I may get the impression that everything on the site is a similarly good deal.

The site looks nice, I actually might buy something - been looking for small monitors for the car/kids. With that being the point of view, the biggest issue I have is the missing images on the product pages. It looks like not all products have multiple images, but this one does. I will bookmark and check back. I have read the other posts, and most are valid, but when I am shopping at a sight like yours, I am not impressed (or unimpressed) by the logo. I am looking for discounts, and if you have good prices, then I stay, if not I leave. With that in mind, do you have a loss leader? Something or things that you sell at crazy low prices that can be on the main page. As a shopper and I see something that is a perceived terrific deal, I may get the impression that everything on the site is a similarly good deal.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I will be doing a complete rework of the site tonight. It may not be uploaded untill sometime later this week, but I think it will look much better. I still want to accept credit cards on the store without having to go through paypal, but that will have to wait just a little while longer. I will definitally impliment the loss leader idea, thanks.

Archived