• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Internet Explorer display problems

SuperSewist

I see by my search here that others have had various problems with their site viewing incorrectly in Internet Explorer, but none of those solutions solved my problem. I did find an awesome css validator which made me happy. But I still have the problem, so sadness again.

The problem is occuring with the Main index.php (the categories display part of index.php seems OK)

and with product_info.php (so far). Firefox and Netscape both look great. Explorer make this W-I-D-E page, like at least a hundred miles wide. It seems like there must be something wrong with my table structure, but I can't find it. And, some text from the language files and many database fields doesn't show up. But some does. Although it is there, if you do view source. I've TIDYd, I've VALIDATEd, and I've checked it all line by line. Made some interested changes along the way as well. Played around with browser settings. But, the problem is the same with the stock version of product_info.php. So now I bring it to you.

A current product_info.php link: http://sewingprose.com/product_info.php ? cPath=1&products_id=3

I have all the tables set to border="0" width="100%" except for the few I have Css'd.

A place to view the stock file in action:

http://sewingprose.com/product_info_stock.php ? cPath=1&products_id=3

and, A place to view the file with all the borders turned on. (border="2" ) http://sewingprose.com/product_info_test.php ? cPath=1&products_id=3

rem for the two test files, if you click on any other links it goes into the main flow of the store,

which all works.

however you can change the numbers of cPath & products_id in the address to see other items.

Now if you know the problem please do say. But also I am happy to just get clues and go on wild goose chases. Hopefully it is the proverbial Snake That Would Have Bitten the Grandma always warned about. And if y'all say it looks fine on your computer, well I guess I'll just scream, but it would be nice to know why it looks OK on your computer in IE and not on mine. (IE6, winXP) And thanks in advance for your input.

Toward Continued Success - - > Carol Hawkey - - > KidsLearnToSew.com - - > Wyoming, USA

Mods Installed - - > Authnet AIM2 - Bundled Products 1.4 - Fancier Invoice 6.1 - Email_HTML_Order_Link_Fixed - Header Tags Controller - Login aLa Amazon - JustOneAttribute - Article Manager - SPPC w/PB - spiders.txt - Dangling Carrot/Olive - Printable Catalog - CCGV(trad)

Planned Mods - - > Purchase Without Account - USPS Label - Ultimate SEO

I see that the forum doesn't like to post links with ? in them. So here I will try again, so you can see the problem.

Current:

sewingprose.com/product_info.php ? cPath=1&products_id=3

stock:

sewingprose.com/product_info_stock.php ? cPath=1&products_id=3

borders turned on.

sewingprose.com/product_info_test.php ? cPath=1&products_id=3

You will have to copy the whole line, and then take the space out from either side of the ?

and then it should do it.

view it in Firefox and also then in Internet Explorer and see if they are different.

if you see the same thing, please tell me, in my IE it looks Bad.

when in IE, look at your scrolling bar on the bottom. It makes it so you can scroll a LOOOONNNNNG way without ever seeing anything before finally getting to the right-side of the page.

I hope someone has some suggestions, I see lots of folks viewing this thread, but no answers yet :(

Thank you.

Toward Continued Success - - > Carol Hawkey - - > KidsLearnToSew.com - - > Wyoming, USA

Mods Installed - - > Authnet AIM2 - Bundled Products 1.4 - Fancier Invoice 6.1 - Email_HTML_Order_Link_Fixed - Header Tags Controller - Login aLa Amazon - JustOneAttribute - Article Manager - SPPC w/PB - spiders.txt - Dangling Carrot/Olive - Printable Catalog - CCGV(trad)

I kind of hate to keep replying to my own post, buy hey there's been a lot of folk checking out this question, and no answers. So I am guessing that all the lookers are having the same problem and hoping to find the answer here. Which is kind of nice to know I am not the only one. But - - -

Are there any clues out there as to what I can do to make Internet Explorer show nicely? An obviously "little thing" that IE doesn't like and I should go add/remove it? A bit of javascript maybe? I've seen that before to cater to different browsers. The text is clearly there when you do a "view source", but it doesn't show on the screen. The css and html have both been checked and validated at correct. I'm sure this looks tacky to my IE customers.

There are not a lot of people who have trouble with Internet Explorer. We'd have hundreds and hundreds of posts here if there were.

I've looked at your site in IE and it looks fine, just the way I'd expect it to.

Are you sure that it's not your copy of IE that's the problem?

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

ALAN! THANK YOU! No I am not sure it's not my IE, that is why I posted in the first place, to get some different eyes on it. Although, I do have two different computers (win98 & winXP) with IE 6.0, and it looks bad on both. That's why I suspected not-my-IE. And I don't have problems with other sites in IE, they are all just fine.

But clearly it must be my IE, as you state it looks fine for you. It really looks just the same for you in both IE and firefox, right? At least now I have a clue, don't know quite what to do with it yet, but I'll track it down sooner or later!! thank you again!!!!!

ALAN! THANK YOU! No I am not sure it's not my IE, that is why I posted in the first place, to get some different eyes on it. Although, I do have two different computers (win98 & winXP) with IE 6.0, and it looks bad on both. That's why I suspected not-my-IE. And I don't have problems with other sites in IE, they are all just fine.

But clearly it must be my IE, as you state it looks fine for you. It really looks just the same for you in both IE and firefox, right? At least now I have a clue, don't know quite what to do with it yet, but I'll track it down sooner or later!! thank you again!!!!!

It's not your IE. What did you do in product_info.php? You may need to add a IE specific <div> in stylesheet.css

My product_info.php is heavily modded to make use of a custom template and additional database fields. this problem seems to appear whenever the php file <includes> something with a <p> tag, usually css'd as:

P.text { text-indent:5%; width:80%; text-align:left; padding-left:25px; }

I've done a lot of that in my language files for index.php, shipping.php, etc. I know about <div> but don't know how to make one IE specific. Could you point me in the right direction? TIA.

OK it is solved. IE does not like text-indent:5%

I changed it to text-indent:25px

it looks good now.

Archived