• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Double-click advanced search

My store is a DVD rental joint, and I couldn't find a way to link all the cast and crew names in some sort of database so you could click on a name and be shown all the films on my site an actor appears in. Just like

the IMDB. If anyone knows how to do that please tell me.

So I came up with a workaround, I adapted the following javascript which lets you double-click on any word on the product page and it will do an advanced search in descriptions on that word. Problem is double-clicking only selects one word at a time, so I have to take out the space between names like this: MelGibson and it works wonderfully. I just put a tip on the product page about searching using this method, your shop needn't be a DVD store for this. It also works well with the "javascript "back" button" contribution.

So here it is:

Open /catalog/product_info.php and in the head section right below the title add this:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Begin double click advanced search
var NS = (navigator.appName == "Netscape") ? 1 : 0;
if (NS) document.captureEvents(Event.DBLCLICK);
document.ondblclick = dict;

var newwin;
function dict() {
if (NS) {
t = document.getSelection();
opennewwin(t);
}
else {
t = document.selection.createRange();
if(document.selection.type == 'Text' && t.text != '') {
document.selection.empty();
opennewwin(t.text);
  }
  }}
function opennewwin(text) {
if (text > '') {
window = document.replace(self.location.href='/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords='+text);
  }
}
//  End double click advanced search-->
</script>

I just discovered that to select 2 words or first and last names you can double click right at the very start of the first letter of the last word/name. Once you get the hang of it it's easy!

But wait there's more! I discovered IE doesn't work like Firefox, so here's a version of the script that works by selecting any text you want to search and pressing a key, preferably the Ctrl key.

So here we go again,

Add the following to /catalog/product_info.php in the head section just under the title:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Begin selection advanced search
var NS = (navigator.appName == "Netscape") ? 1 : 0;
if (NS) document.captureEvents(Event.DBLCLICK);
document.onkeydown = dict;

var newwin;
function dict() {
if (NS) {
t = document.getSelection();
opennewwin(t);
}
else {
t = document.selection.createRange();
if(document.selection.type == 'Text' && t.text != '') {
document.selection.empty();
opennewwin(t.text);
  }
  }}
function opennewwin(text) {
if (text > '') {
window = document.replace(self.location.href='/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords='+text);
  }
}
//  End selection advanced search-->
</script>

This should work much better and should be crossbrowser compatible, I've tried it on Firefox and IE.

Archived