• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modified Store looking for opinions

KaiAnimation

My Store

We've been open for a almost a year. My recent changes have been towards making us easier for the search engines to index us.

I've added:

Ultimate SEO, Header Tags, Google Site Map for better SEO.

Purchase Without Account to keep customers on my site who don't want to make an account.

Thumbnail Category Browse for upselling.

Optimize_tep_get_tax_rate to decrease database parsing.

I'm using the Froogle Data Feeder to add all my products on Froogle.

I submit an edited copy of googlesitemap to Yahoo, so they have all my urls.

I put a keyword rich section of text at the bottom of *catalog*/index.php

I've changed the "Let's See What We Have Here" header to the current parent or category title.

In the Category sections I have put a sub-header text to describe the category and some text at the bottom to describe the category for more keywords.

I'm interested in what you think, and if you'd like to know how I did something, then I'm willing to tell you.

Danny :thumbsup:

If I'm giving advice, it is based on what path I would take to fix your problem. My path may be wrong.

The black background is a BIT hard on the eyes...

In my browser the top banner extends far beyond the edge of the right column, i'd recommend trimming the top banner to fit on a smaller resolution screen.

I might also suggest taking the large amount of text that is on the index page and adding some additional pages to handle it. ie: 'about anime' (about.html).

Hope that helps,

Dude, I so love Cowboy Bebop!

Anyway, the site is a good start.

- Joe is right the black background is a little much. However I did notice, and its hard to see, but your actual background color is not a true black. If you say lightened it up a little, like a light charcoal. That might look cool with the black infoboxes.

I was going for more but it looks as though your working on it (I hope), so I'll drop by later...

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/kaianima/public_html/index.php on line 33

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/kaianima/public_html/index.php on line 33

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/kaianima/public_html/index.php on line 33

i agree with the above posters.. PLUS i dont like how your page is SOO long.... maybe just me... but i chose to break my site into other pages that share the same style/feel of hte oscommerce pages, but have a different focus..

www.sockit.net/socks.php - shoping cart

and say for example

www.sockit.net/faq.php

just a suggestion - PLUS it speeds up load times...

-todd

sockit.net

Dude, I so love Cowboy Bebop!

Anyway, the site is a good start.

- Joe is right the black background is a little much. However I did notice, and its hard to see, but your actual background color is not a true black. If you say lightened it up a little, like a light charcoal. That might look cool with the black infoboxes.

I was going for more but it looks as though your working on it (I hope), so I'll drop by later...

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/kaianima/public_html/index.php on line 33

Joseph- We decided to use black as a background because we like the way our pictures stand out versus a white background. We think black feels like a velvet that a jeweler may use to display their wares. I guess that is just a matter of taste. I have to tell you using black makes it difficult to match other colors onto my site.

My partner likes the black, so I have to go with it. I did use a dark gray to help lighten things a little.

sockit.net- I'm using a ton of text in the index page for the idea of something for Google to index. Does this make sense? I'm not certain I am making a good decision here.

The text is focused towards the type of products we're selling. It is keyword rich, but I don't think I am being spammy. It is all good, well thought out information.

I was working on the index page, sorry about the errors.

I'll look at making my logo graphic smaller.

I am interested in your thoughts about my long text.

I've put the text, "below the fold", kind of like the stuff on the front page of a newspaper, but not on the top it's below the fold. It's on the index page, but low to where if people we're really interested in reading something, then they can. Otherwise, it is easy to pass up.

Do you think I'm right about Google needing something to index? Do you think I need it? Do you think I should just shorten it?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site.

Danny

If I'm giving advice, it is based on what path I would take to fix your problem. My path may be wrong.

- Yeah that's more like it, you could even go just a little lighter and it would still look good. I think it helps define the infoboxes a little better.

- There seems to be something off on this Page.

- You might want to think about using a thumbnail contrib. Not for picture quality but for size. Some of you images are around 70K! Your dial-up customers will hate you...

- Your "Contact Us" has a black block in the upper right hand corner now. You can try replacing the image with a transparent pixel which will leave the image holder there for future use.

- You may want to personalize the "Search Help" to your products, just a pet peeve of mine. Search Help

That's all I noticed while looking through your site quickly. Great job so far and good luck!

BearHappy-

Thanks for the great check!

I got rid of the Contact Us picture. There was a time the background was all black, I changed the background to the charcoal color and I missed the Contact Us picture. I was hiding all of those pictures with a black image. I'm more comfortable in making changes on my site now, so I found the image and commented it out.

I had a hard time finding the odd link. Another great check on your part. That link had a "/" at the end of it which did weird things with the stylesheet. I've never seen that problem before. It is good to learn something new.

I never knew about the Advanced Help text. I'll get right on that. I like things to be customized, also.

You found some detailed things. Thank you for the help. I guess I should travel around my site in more detail in the future. Then maybe I'll find things like this before my customers do. :blush:

Danny :)

A Store Speed Up in Progress

I've been reading the thread above and following the advice posted.

When I started reading the thread, my database queries was up over 300 for my index page.

Now the queries for the index page is at 9! ;)

I'll leave the Parse Time and Queries data turned on for a while until this thread goes stale. It's on the bottom of the page.

I also installed the 'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer contribution. This one takes your images, turns them into thumbnails, saves the thumbnails in a folder called images/thumbnails and uses the thumbnails to load the page.

I like this thumbnail contribution, but if someone thinks another one is better, then I'd like to know.

I still need to see how these changes look on browsers other than Internet Explorer. I also need to see how my site does on a dail up.

I've fixed everything that has been talked about so far, except the Advanced Search help page.

Danny

• 4 weeks later...
Joseph- We decided to use black as a background because we like the way our pictures stand out versus a white background. We think black feels like a velvet that a jeweler may use to display their wares. I guess that is just a matter of taste. I have to tell you using black makes it difficult to match other colors onto my site.

My partner likes the black, so I have to go with it. I did use a dark gray to help lighten things a little.

sockit.net- I'm using a ton of text in the index page for the idea of something for Google to index. Does this make sense? I'm not certain I am making a good decision here.

The text is focused towards the type of products we're selling. It is keyword rich, but I don't think I am being spammy. It is all good, well thought out information.

I was working on the index page, sorry about the errors.

I'll look at making my logo graphic smaller.

I am interested in your thoughts about my long text.

I've put the text, "below the fold", kind of like the stuff on the front page of a newspaper, but not on the top it's below the fold. It's on the index page, but low to where if people we're really interested in reading something, then they can. Otherwise, it is easy to pass up.

Do you think I'm right about Google needing something to index? Do you think I need it? Do you think I should just shorten it?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site.

Danny

If you are just using that ugly text on the index for the search engines you should change the font size to 1 and change the font color to black.

Archived