• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Business Filing

Note: I have not operated a busines in New Jersey. The following is based on experience/knowledge of several other states sales tax laws.

If New Jersey does it like most states, when you file for your sales tax account with the state, they will give you a sales tax ID number. They will also usually give you some sales tax resale exemption certificates like the form you linked to but with your business information already filled in. Then you can make photo copies to use and always have a good supply.

In most states it is not legal to use a sales tax resale exemption certificate if you don't have a sales tax account with the state.

Then when you file your sales tax return (monthly or quarterly depending on your state rules), most state's forms have a box to record the total of transactions in which you used the exemption form. It doesn't effect the tax amounts, but they do expect you to report it.

hth

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Note: I have not operated a busines in New Jersey. The following is based on experience/knowledge of several other states sales tax laws.

If New Jersey does it like most states, when you file for your sales tax account with the state, they will give you a sales tax ID number. They will also usually give you some sales tax resale exemption certificates like the form you linked to but with your business information already filled in. Then you can make photo copies to use and always have a good supply.

In most states it is not legal to use a sales tax resale exemption certificate if you don't have a sales tax account with the state.

Then when you file your sales tax return (monthly or quarterly depending on your state rules), most state's forms have a box to record the total of transactions in which you used the exemption form. It doesn't effect the tax amounts, but they do expect you to report it.

hth

I am indeed in new jersey and am trying to sign up with a distributor. The only kind of paperwork I have filed for thusfar is the LLC paperwork which I got and my EIN which I do have the provisional but am awaiting the final paperwork in the mail still. The sales tax id though I thought it was possible to use your ssn. If it is and you do use your ssn for your sales tax id how do you still obtain this number? If you want can you link me to the sales tax id form? I already filled out the ss-4 form which is how I got my EIN. Thanks.

I am indeed in new jersey and am trying to sign up with a distributor. The only kind of paperwork I have filed for thusfar is the LLC paperwork which I got and my EIN which I do have the provisional but am awaiting the final paperwork in the mail still. The sales tax id though I thought it was possible to use your ssn. If it is and you do use your ssn for your sales tax id how do you still obtain this number? If you want can you link me to the sales tax id form? I already filled out the ss-4 form which is how I got my EIN. Thanks.

Looking at the form it states:

• Please Note that all domestic and foreign corporations, LLC's and limited partnerships must register using thier FEIN's. If you are registering a partnership or proprietorship with employees, you must provide your FEIN. This number will serve as your business tax ID in New Jersey.

So, if you have an LLC, then it requires your EIN.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Looking at the form it states:
  • Please Note that all domestic and foreign corporations, LLC's and limited partnerships must register using thier FEIN's. If you are registering a partnership or proprietorship with employees, you must provide your FEIN. This number will serve as your business tax ID in New Jersey.

So, if you have an LLC, then it requires your EIN.

Fair enough and thank you very much :)

Archived